• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forcing me pay your rent, then vanishing into thin air...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jkingsbury

Hi All,

I shared an apartment with two other roommates who we'll call Scott and Chris. Scott decided that he would move out 13 days prior to our lease ending. He did not provide written notification, only verbal. Scott and I then verbally agreed, on two separate occasions, that he would be obligated to pay rent and utilties if we could not find another roommate to take his place before the start of the next month since he had only given 13 days notice.

Chris and I eventually had to pay his rent and share of utilities after he moved his belongings out and didn't respond to my attemtps to contact him with numerous phone messages to both him and his father. Chris witnessed the verbal agreement on one occasion and has also tried to contact Scott, to no avail. I also had several conversations with our landlord regarding Scott's delinquency to pay rent.

Do I have a good case to sue Scott for his rent and share of the utilities? We live in an expensive city and I need the money I had to spend to cover his tail!!

Any insight appreciated...

JETX

"Do I have a good case to sue Scott for his rent and share of the utilities?"

You may have a case, but not a real solid one. The problem is that everything you state is verbal.... and your 'witness' (fellow roommate) has an interest in the outcome!! Simply, you have two ways to try to recover your 'damages' (money spent on his behalf). You can continue to plead for the money (little or no chance) or you can file a lawsuit in small claims court. If you do that, get all your information together and you and 'Chris' go to court and try to get a judgment against 'Scott'. Assuming you are successful, the hard part is often enforcing the judgment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">