• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forclosure on home w/2nd loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

biowf

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.
I still do not have all info yet but am trying to find out what I need to do about this. 3 years ago I gave an individual a loan of $47k that was secured with their home. They have now abandoned the home and the bank has issued an intent to foreclose. I was told that my loan is basically worthless and that I have no way of recouping any of the money from the loan. Any help greatly appreciated- I am not in a position to hire a lawyer right now. Thank you.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.
I still do not have all info yet but am trying to find out what I need to do about this. 3 years ago I gave an individual a loan of $47k that was secured with their home. They have now abandoned the home and the bank has issued an intent to foreclose. I was told that my loan is basically worthless and that I have no way of recouping any of the money from the loan. Any help greatly appreciated- I am not in a position to hire a lawyer right now. Thank you.
**A: need the amount of the first mortgage and your second mortgage, and the value of the property. If the value of the property at a foreclosure sale is less than the balance of the first mortgage, then you are correct. You will not see a penny.

biowf

I found out the original loan amount - likely more than the home is worth now. Not happy. I know it is a first come first serve kind of situation but I still have a hard time accepting the loss of $47k and not being able to do anything about it.

Pojo

I suspect the individual has already been advised to file BK so that you would not be able to file a claim in court and get a Judgment you might possibly collect in the future.

ANSWER Guru's questions he is trying to establish another plan for you if I am thinking correctly but he needs figures. Come on cooperate.

biowf

Had life to deal with. anyway the initial home loan was approx $148K second loan (the one I provided) $47K. The home value is likely around $140K at best right now. The home owner appears to have abandoned the home. Thank you for your interest and help.

HomeGuru

Had life to deal with. anyway the initial home loan was approx $148K second loan (the one I provided) $47K. The home value is likely around $140K at best right now. The home owner appears to have abandoned the home. Thank you for your interest and help.
**A: based on the info, the last sentence in my previous post applies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">