• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forged check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Distressed

I recently changed jobs and my last check from my former employer was sent directly to my house in California. Somewhere between the payroll department, the post office and my house it was stolen and cashed. It was signed with my name and made payable to this mystery theif. I am almost positive that it was my roommate or her boyfriend that stole it and had someone cash it for them, but I have no proof. There are other issues going on with them and in our house to lead me to believe this, some of which are illegal activities. My former employer said that there was nothing they could do and that it was out of their hands. I reported it to the sheriff's dept. and they said that all they could do is take a report. The check was almost $600, so it wasn't necessarily a small amount. What do I do? Is there something I can do to press charges against this person that signed my name to the check? To make matters worse, there is no liscense number on the check or form of ID. On top of that, the copy does not show where the check was cashed. The stamp on it is not legible. Please Help!!!!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Distressed:
I recently changed jobs and my last check from my former employer was sent directly to my house in California. Somewhere between the payroll department, the post office and my house it was stolen and cashed. It was signed with my name and made payable to this mystery theif. I am almost positive that it was my roommate or her boyfriend that stole it and had someone cash it for them, but I have no proof. There are other issues going on with them and in our house to lead me to believe this, some of which are illegal activities. My former employer said that there was nothing they could do and that it was out of their hands. I reported it to the sheriff's dept. and they said that all they could do is take a report. The check was almost $600, so it wasn't necessarily a small amount. What do I do? Is there something I can do to press charges against this person that signed my name to the check? To make matters worse, there is no liscense number on the check or form of ID. On top of that, the copy does not show where the check was cashed. The stamp on it is not legible. Please Help!!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

You say you have no "proof" against your roommates, yet you say:

"What do I do? Is there something I can do to press charges against this person that signed my name to the check?"

What person? Who do you want to sue, especially without any proof? Tell me how you want to prove your case "without any proof".

I'm sorry for your loss, but when you become roommates with criminals, this is what you should expect.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

D

distressed

My feeling is that my roommates had something to do with the stolen check, which that I have no proof of. However, I do have a name on the check who it was made payable to (the name in which it was cashed under - not my own). My question is, what do I do to recover that money? Can I actually go after the person that signed my name to the check and wrote "make payable to..."? As far as moving in with criminals, I have been friends with one of them for many years and never knew about any of this. She recently moved her boyfriend in without my knowledge or consent, whom I knew nothing about.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by distressed:
My feeling is that my roommates had something to do with the stolen check, which that I have no proof of. However, I do have a name on the check who it was made payable to (the name in which it was cashed under - not my own). My question is, what do I do to recover that money? Can I actually go after the person that signed my name to the check and wrote "make payable to..."? As far as moving in with criminals, I have been friends with one of them for many years and never knew about any of this. She recently moved her boyfriend in without my knowledge or consent, whom I knew nothing about. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

If you know who that person was, and can locate that person, then by all means, file your action in Small Claims court and have that person personally served with the Summons and Complaint.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

W

whatever

No legal here, but that check had to be cashed somewhere. When it , the check, went back to the employer who wrote it, it has stamps on the back and they have records that can show when it cleared and who cashed it somewhere. There has to be some info or way to trace it back to whomever forged your name.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">