• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.


Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



Forgery - Need Help Concerned Father

What is the name of your state? Colorado

I have a legal question concerning an arrest of my daughter.

What she claims happened is, she was trying to help someone out who she just recently met (I know mistake #1, I already told her that). The person apparently said that if she would cash a personal check if he made the check out to her because he had either lost his ID or didn't have it with him.

She agreed and endorsed her name (signed) on the back of the check and attempted to cash it at a bank where the check was drawn from. Apparently the cashier took the check and her ID and immediately called the police. The person she was doing this so called favor for took off as soon as the cashier took the check and her ID.

To make a long story short, she was arrested for forgery. She told them exactly what happened and apparently the bank has the other person on video camera.

So my question is other than being stupid and trying to help this guy out, she's confused as to how she could be charged with forgery when all she did was sign her name on the back of the check (she had identification) to endorse it.

Also, she requested a court assigned attorney and someone was assigned to her but as of yet the public defender hasn't provided any counsel to my daughter and her court appreance is supposedly tomorrow (Tues, Sept 10th).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Concerned father.
Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential