• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Form 8949 : I have a Short Term POSITIVE Gain with Wash Code

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
So In Column 'g' should I enter -123.45 for example. For losses I would enter positive 123.45 values.
It's not clear what the transaction is that you wish to report, and that matters. If the transaction resulted in a gain then generally there should be no wash sale adjustment. But without knowing what happened here all I can do is refer you to the Form 8949 instructions. Note that when you enter in negative numbers on a return, you use parentheses, e.g. (123.45) rather than a negative sign as you used. In other words, do not enter a negative value as -123.45.

FlyingRon

Yep, you're free to wash gains all you want. The IRS loves you to pay taxes early and often :) Their a little more reticent to let you take deductions when you really haven't disposed of the asset. I pretty much washed my entire portfolio a few years back when they were talking about raising the LT capital gains tax. It came down to the last day of the year before they made the decision.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">