• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Former employer not forwarding COBRA premiums

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joconnell

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

My former employer is receiving my COBRA premiums but is behind in paying the health insurance company. I found out when I tried to refill a prescription and was told it would not go through. I contacted my former employer and was told that they were behind on paying for the health insurance. I have been paying my COBRA premiums every month. Is there anything I can do?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's not that they are not forwarding COBRA premiums; it's that they are not paying the health insurance bill at all and that as a result, the policy overall has been suspended. In other words, this same situation would exist even if you were actively at work.

The only thing you or any other employee can do is contact the US DOL and report the situation; they will decide if there is any action to be taken. IF the policy is ultimately cancelled, you will get your premiums back; if the back payments are made and the suspension is lifted, all claims can be reprocessed for payment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">