• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

former housemate making trouble-HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

32fish

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Okay, last year June 01 to June 02, i rented a room in a co-op situation (10 bedrooms, 10 individaul leases) Now the lease says that all rooms come unfurnished, but over the years some of the rooms have acquired couches, dressers, etc. My question: when i moved out, i took a couch that was in my room. Another tenent (who i had a major falling out with/we used to be best friends) now claims that i "stole" this couch and it is property of the house. She even went to the police and filed a report on it. The landlord hasn't said a word about this situation and i really doubt he cares. So, legally, whose couch is this? it was in my room for a year, the previous person who lived in this room said nothing about it when she left, and the landlord hasn't said a word about it either. I know this former friend is making an issue out of this to harass me (she has also sent my numerous threatening emails), but ANY advice on what i should do would be appreciated. I have to meet with the police next week to give them my statement.

Thank you all!!!

JETX

Though she (the other tenant) obviously has no rights to the couch..... neither do you. And by your removing the couch without the owners (the landlord owns by default), you have commited theft. Your choice..... return the couch that you clearly have no ownership rights..... or take a chance with the police.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">