• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Formr employer being sued, can I be held liable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

crevi

What is the name of your state? MA

I recently left my a company I worked for for 8 years.
During my employment, I was responible for dealing with various vendors. To keep things brief, essentially a vendor went ahead and to my suprise put down some money for a down payment on something that I had not authorized.

The vendor tried to get the unathorized payment from my company for quite some time, I was asked to document exactly what happened & sent copies to numerous managers and higher ups explaining the situation. being a big company my guess is someone dropped the ball and might have not dealt with this properly & now the vendor is suing for way more than they initially lost.

Now some 3 or 4 years later, the vendor is suing my company.
My former company's lawyer wants to speak with me regarding the case.

Can I be held finacially reponsible for any of this ?
Note: My former company's lawyer has requested to talk to me & even represent me in the case, should I be weary of talking with her ?

Thanks

B

BB_Wolfe

Yes you should be weary of speaking with her.

Retain your own lawyer and have that person present for ALL conversations. Have all telephone/correspondance routed to that person if it regards the suit.

You are always free to take the "I don't recall" route.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">