• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Found carpet damage after signing papers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Allen Shannon

What is the name of your state? Colorado

I just purchased a condo, but before I moved in, I noticed that
the carpet was damaged in one room. Is there anything that can
be done?
When we inspected the house, it still had some furniture left. We had an inspecter come in, and he and I looked around for 2 hours, but didn't lift up the throw rugs to look underneath them!
After signing the papers for the purchase of the house, the old tenants were suppose to bring us a copy of the keys to the house, but they didn't. I understand they had 72 hours to get out of the house, and they took every bit of that time. When the real estate lady called to tell us she had the keys, when we went back to the condo to clean, we noticed they had left some rugs in the house. So we went around picking them up, and under one, we noticed the carpet had been cut out, and replaced with a different color. The rug was hiding this.
We called our real estate, and they said there was nothing to be done. It was too late. We hadn't started moving anything in yet.
Is there anything we can do? We have called the people that owned the house, but no answer, and they are not calling back!

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Allen Shannon said:
What is the name of your state? Colorado

I just purchased a condo, but before I moved in, I noticed that
the carpet was damaged in one room. Is there anything that can
be done?
When we inspected the house, it still had some furniture left. We had an inspecter come in, and he and I looked around for 2 hours, but didn't lift up the throw rugs to look underneath them!
After signing the papers for the purchase of the house, the old tenants were suppose to bring us a copy of the keys to the house, but they didn't. I understand they had 72 hours to get out of the house, and they took every bit of that time. When the real estate lady called to tell us she had the keys, when we went back to the condo to clean, we noticed they had left some rugs in the house. So we went around picking them up, and under one, we noticed the carpet had been cut out, and replaced with a different color. The rug was hiding this.
We called our real estate, and they said there was nothing to be done. It was too late. We hadn't started moving anything in yet.
Is there anything we can do? We have called the people that owned the house, but no answer, and they are not calling back!
**A: how much money are we talking about? This is a small claims action.

A

Allen Shannon

Whatever it costs to put carpet in that room? I'm sure not $1,000 of dollars, but I wouldn't think that I should be responsible since
it was damage that was hidden! So, now you are saying they I
need to get a lawer and go to small claims court? Can't the real
estate agent force the sellers to fix this problem?

HomeGuru

Allen Shannon said:
Whatever it costs to put carpet in that room? I'm sure not $1,000 of dollars, but I wouldn't think that I should be responsible since
it was damage that was hidden! So, now you are saying they I
need to get a lawer and go to small claims court?

**A: I did mention small claims but did not mention a lawyer.
Can't the real estate agent force the sellers to fix this problem?
**A: and does the real estate agent have a gun or be maybe a relative of the Mafiaso?

D

dyinginside

Well Im sure the sellers didnt disclose this and they can be held accountable because obviously they were hiding the damages so they had tobe aware of them. Call the Colorado Real Estate Commission they may be of great help to you and you concerns.

HomeGuru

dyinginside said:
Well Im sure the sellers didnt disclose this and they can be held accountable because obviously they were hiding the damages so they had tobe aware of them. Call the Colorado Real Estate Commission they may be of great help to you and you concerns.
**A: how is the REC going to be of great help? Per the post, this is a seller disclosure issue that would involve the Seller and Buyer parties and not licensed real estate agents.

Last edited:
D

dyinginside

Well, as far as I know an agent is supposed to look for things such as these and disclose all adverse materials which was apparently not done.

HomeGuru

dyinginside said:
Well, as far as I know an agent is supposed to look for things such as these

**A: than you don't know very far. A real estate agent is not required to move furniture in order to move throw rugs to inspect every inch of flooring such as carpeting. And a home inspector is not required to do the same as well.

and disclose all adverse materials which was apparently not done.

**A: see above.

A

advicesucks

small claims court does not involve attorneys. Sue the seller.

A

advicesucks

i was telling that to help allenshannon , not you. You seem to know everything anyway.

A

advicesucks

ShannonAllen assumed you needed an attorney for small claims in her 2nd post. HG could not come out and directly inform her that no attorneys are needed in small claims, he used roundabout language :i mentioned small claims, i didnt mention a lawyer" that would only confuse those who are unfamiliar with the court system

So is being a smartaleck a requirement for posting here?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">