• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Found out my spouse's a con man!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hurtBYliar

What is the name of your state? Texas
My husband has always been very openly affectionate and has told me daily that he loves me. This is why I'm still with him after 10 years of his lies. Recently I've uncovered some pretty big lies (that I really don't want to get into here--just trust me that they're big). Until recently, I just thought that he felt inadequate and that he merely forgot about his previous promises to not spend so much money and to not charge on our credit cards. I now know that he never meant to keep his promises and wanted to string me along for as long as he could. I have been nothing but good to him and have given him many, many chances to turn his spending habits around. Anyway, in light of the recent discoveries, I have to divorce him. It's so hard because I love him, but I now realize that con men can't be con men if you don't believe them!

Based on all I know, he will UNDOUBTEDLY not pay any debts that a divorce would deem him to pay. I see my future with there being NO WAY that I can survive the emotional turmoil and embarrassment of this divorce while also having to pay 1/2 the debts plus his 1/2 when credit collectors then approach me due to him not paying--as is how it would be here in Texas. I have tried EVERYTHING I can to get his spending under control over the years and wish I'd just left him 10 yrs ago! I had NO DEBT prior to marriage and now we have NO SAVINGS, we’re renting, both cars are breaking down and are under loans, and I can honestly say he's single-handedly caused all of our debt!

(BTW, the cars are joint loans and the credit cards are individual except that he is listed as “authorized user” on my cards—of course all charges were done w/ his auth user cards resulting in much more debt in my name than his when all is added up!) Again, knowing what I know now, he will definitely default on his debts in the future.

Knowing that TX is a community property state and that credit card companies can collect his debts from me...I'm trying to find a way to survive, get the happy life that I deserve, and not have to go into my middle age with no pride, no home, no life, nothing! We've lived in TX for the last 5 years and have considered moving. If I get the courage to fight fire with fire and string him along to another state that is not community property before initiating separation/divorce, is there a chance that his creditors would not be able to collect from me? Would the creditors be limited to who they can collect from, for his debts incurred throughout our 10 year marriage, based on our residency in a non-community property state at the time of our divorce?

Last edited:

zippysgoddess

That more than likely wouldn't work, because in most cases the statutes appply from the state where the debt was incurred, so moving to a non-community property state wouldn't help you.

However, you could turn it around on him. Leave the man, get your legal seperation going, and file bankruptcy on your portion of the debts. You said you rent, your cars are all under loans, so it won't hurt you at this point. Under the new laws, you might have to do a Chapter 13, depending on your income, but once you do your little payment thing, and the creditors can no longer go after you, they will all be after him for the remaining balances! That will surely give him a big surprise, and provide some relief for you.

Remember, today bankruptcy is no longer a credit death sentence like it was years ago. You can get credit again, it just takes a few years, and sometimes not even that long, as some companies love to deal with people who have bankruptcies, and a clean slate, so to speak.

He will never change, I sure hope you realize that now, and get out while the getting is good. No matter how much you love and care for him, remember, you can't love enough for two!

hurtBYliar

Found out my husband's a con man!

Despite my husband's spending, our credit is great--due to my diligence in always at least making minimum payments on time. Due to our good credit and to how complicated and scary bankruptcy is, I really can't see myself filing for bankruptcy. Under the new laws effective 10/17/05, it looks like after bankruptcy they could take what little furniture I would take from my separation, my car, this computer, etc and then leave me with very little money for food and transportation. If I found myself overwhelmed and under collections then I guess I might need to consider it, but wouldn't filing for bankruptcy directly after separation be premature? See: http://bankruptcy.findlaw.com/new-bankruptcy-law/.

I think some people think that bankruptcy means that afterwards you can spend 100% of your income on whatever you want and the only downside is your credit is ruined for a few years. However, according to what I read, they take your assets (car, hobby equipment, etc), you still have to pay most if not all debts, and a trustee allows you to only spend about $400 of your monthly income on necessities. The new law has also eliminated some of the protections... For example, filing for bankruptcy no longer delays or stops eviction actions, driver's license suspensions, or divorce proceedings. Plus, I'd have to pay a bankruptcy lawyer's fees and would a divorce lawyer even help me if I was bankrupt? How would filing for bankruptcy upon separation keep his creditors from trying to collect from me? I didn't read anything on that website about bankrupt debtors not having to pay creditors--just that the trustee oversees your new budget and sends your money to the creditors for you. I imagine that if I filed bankruptcy before my spouse defaulted that they would hunt me down just as I was beginning to be able to use my own disposable income again!

Last edited:

temple

a word fm yr future

I am living the life you will be in if you DO NOT DO SOMETHING NOW! He did the very same thing to me....but before I found out about all his "behind the scenes" spending with my money...he filed ch 7 on me....now i am paying two mortgages, car note, supporting two homes and he walked with all the toys i bought him and all the $ socked away in pensions and IRA's so the bankruptcy couldn't touch it. He named me as a creditor so I could NEVER go after him...and he just bought a 300k house in his name alone. The case is not closed and I am currently facing paying the trustee to be able to keep a house that was mine all along, and that he never put a dime into, or her seizing it and selling it leaving me with a mortgage and no house.
PLEASE! PLEASE! GET OUT! you must save yrself because as much as you love him and as hard as it is to believe....he REALLY can do it to you, and will feel nothing in the process.

I am sorry though.

ecmst12

Wow, this thread is 2 years old. If OP hasn't done something by now, it's probably too late for her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">