• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Franchisor forwarding all franchisee emails to another franchise?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

schloske

I own a franchise (education) and it was brought to my attention today that when my clients were sending me an email to my email ([email protected]), they were receiving an email back saying that the message failed to deliver. I tested it by sending an email from my personal account. Here is what I received:

Your message to <[email protected]> was automatically rejected:
Quota exceeded (mailbox for user is full)

It appears that every email sent to my work email is also forwarded to this email address which is a completely different organization (appears to be another franchise). Looking into it more, it is probably that the franchisor is connected to this other organization. There has been quite a bit of confidential information that has been sent to my work email and I am now finding out that the information could be in completely different hands. What course of action should I take?

I'm sorry to be vague, I don't want to expose anything. I hope the post makes sense. Any input would be much appreciated.

PayrollHRGuy

I own a franchise (education) and it was brought to my attention today that when my clients were sending me an email to my email ([email protected]), they were receiving an email back saying that the message failed to deliver. I tested it by sending an email from my personal account. Here is what I received:

Your message to <[email protected]> was automatically rejected:
Quota exceeded (mailbox for user is full)

It appears that every email sent to my work email is also forwarded to this email address which is a completely different organization (appears to be another franchise). Looking into it more, it is probably that the franchisor is connected to this other organization. There has been quite a bit of confidential information that has been sent to my work email and I am now finding out that the information could be in completely different hands. What course of action should I take?

I'm sorry to be vague, I don't want to expose anything. I hope the post makes sense. Any input would be much appreciated.
They have somehow redirected your email to the info email. The good news is that likey nobody is actually reading it and hasn't been because the box is full.

Mass_Shyster

It appears that the entity that manages your email server has set it up to automatically forward a copy of your mail to [email protected] . If you own and manage that server, then it appears something fishy (quite possibly illegal) is going on. If the server is provided by the franchisor, then you need to closely examine your agreement to see if you consented to allowing them access to the email contents.

Depending on your state, and the state of the franchisor, this may be illegal or otherwise actionable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">