• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fraternity Lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

callaw

I am a member of a fraternity at a large college in California. Two years ago my fraternity moved to a new house. Being one of the first residents to move in to the house under the new lease I, along with the others were required to sign the lease. I am now graduating and have found out that my name is still on the lease. As a side note, I am no longer living there and haven't been for over a year. I have spoken to our landlord about putting the current residents of the house on the lease and taking my name along with the rest of the original signers off the lease. He refused, saying that we signed for the Fraternity and everyone in the fraternity is equally as liable for the lease. Only problem with this is, some of the original signers and soon to be me will no longer be attending this school. Someone has suggested to do an assignment agreement with the new residents of the Fraternity. Is this the solution, and will it work if the lease is for the Fraternity? What other options do I have?

HomeGuru

Tell L that some of you will be getting married and some are pregnant so he needs to split the fraternity lease into a paternity and maternity lease.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">