• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fraternization with Community Manager and Retaliatory actions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chrislb41

In May 2018 my community manager expressed her interesting in dating me. She works for a larger residential property management company. She also expressed interest in my business and signed a contract with me. in July 2018 i broke up with her. She then decided to change the locks to my apartment so that id have the same key to her apartment (she lives off site). At first i thought this was cute, but she used this as leverage to keep the relationship ongoing. Nearing the end of September i reported her to her corporate offices. During weeks of investigations and numerous escalations from her regional manager, to her HR representative and then to the vice president she was removed from the property (just assigned to another property and sent that community manager to my property) and though i asked for two months concession for her invading my privacy and causing much stress they only awarded one months concession and demanded that i sign a letter of release and settlement. At the time i was preparing for my clients wedding in which i was highly involved and was being "strongly encouraged" to come to my apartment to let them in during office hours so that they could change my locks as i requested and upon changing my locks the new community manager presented me with the release and settlement documents. I disputed them at which time she stated that if i did not sign it then there would be no concession. I signed it and got on the road to the wedding in which i missed the entire ceremony. I later learned that the new community manager is a friend of the previous community manager and i feel that her along with her other friends who still wok there have been acting in a retaliatory manor. The former community manager still owes me $1000 per her contract and i have been late on rent since the resolution. They have been telling me that if i submitted payment with legal fees before the court date that charges would be dropped. They have been instead showing up to court and have a judgement for possession as of last month using the short version of my name instead of my full legal name (which is why my legal shield lawyers could not find my case on the case info system). I am stressed and my last payment was accepted with reservations, court date is this tuesday and i am looking into requesting that the judge vacate the default judgement in my absence from last month.

xylene

Failing to pay rent was not the correct way to handle this.

Your contract dispute with your ex has nothing to do with your landlord.

You could have called a 24 hour locksmith, had them come at any time and ordered extra key for the landlord for a modest amount.

You are not owed anything for your stress

I'm also NOT following how or why you lost business over this.

Chrislb41

As i am searching the internet i am seeing that my defenses are slim to none.

I did thought lose business:
She was under a 6 month contract with me at my gym, obligated to payments of $288 a month. On September 7th her payment was declined and so were all subsequent payments. I asked her to remove herself and all of her property from my apartment on the morning of July 28th before leaving for work, she did not. She then changed the locks to my apartment which resulted in further conversation with her which went bank and forth for 2 months. During this time i was feeling uneasy about her having access to my home whenever she wanted. Things turned up missing and found in her possession to include an old phone where i would reach out to past clients (a great source for return business) with her reasoning being that she thought she would discover who i left her for - the phone was off, it was literally a source for contacts. My stress lied in that she could enter into my apartment whenever she pleased and did so on numerous occasions. This caused a drop in my production as i made more frequent stops home to protect my property. I admit things were hot and cold and there was back and forth but i feel the changing of keys was a violation of privacy. I have been a perfect tenant my entire life and have lived at this property for 2 years and 5 months before first being late on rent directly following these events. It all really affected my peace of mind

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
As i am searching the internet i am seeing that my defenses are slim to none.

I did thought lose business:
She was under a 6 month contract with me at my gym, obligated to payments of $288 a month. On September 7th her payment was declined and so were all subsequent payments. I asked her to remove herself and all of her property from my apartment on the morning of July 28th before leaving for work, she did not. She then changed the locks to my apartment which resulted in further conversation with her which went bank and forth for 2 months. During this time i was feeling uneasy about her having access to my home whenever she wanted. Things turned up missing and found in her possession to include an old phone where i would reach out to past clients (a great source for return business) with her reasoning being that she thought she would discover who i left her for - the phone was off, it was literally a source for contacts. My stress lied in that she could enter into my apartment whenever she pleased and did so on numerous occasions. This caused a drop in my production as i made more frequent stops home to protect my property. I admit things were hot and cold and there was back and forth but i feel the changing of keys was a violation of privacy. I have been a perfect tenant my entire life and have lived at this property for 2 years and 5 months before first being late on rent directly following these events. It all really affected my peace of mind
Losing business because your relationship soured is not the fault of your landlord. You can take your ex to small claims, but I don't see you have even the slightest chance of winning.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">