• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fraud in the Restaurant Business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nicprescott

RESIDENT OF CALIFORNIA:

***Hello! I am writing a series of short stories for an AP Literature class project and would like some help, if possible, with research. Thank you so much for your time in reading my posts! Please do not be surprised by the unrealistic nature of my question :).***

How bad of a lie constitutes fraud?

Taking his date out to Homecoming, my son plans to call ahead, claim he is some VIP that does not exist (I don't know if he'll claim he is the duke of california or some other dumb title, but he says the person doesn't exist) and request at the least a very good reservation and hopefully also get some complementary food.

I have already taken action because this is a lie, but I want to tell him that this plan that he told me of may or may not also be fraud! Would this be fraud or any other crime? If one were to do the same thing, for example, with an airline, claiming they are some non-existant journalist to get a seat upgrade, would this be fraud? I'm aware it is the restaurant's and the airline's decision to grant one these privileges, but if the reason why they do so is not true, beyond being a liar is the person breaking the law?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Just Blue

How bad of a lie constitutes fraud?

Taking his date out to Homecoming, my son plans to call ahead, claim he is some VIP that does not exist (I don't know if he'll claim he is the duke of california or some other dumb title, but he says the person doesn't exist) and request at the least a very good reservation and hopefully also get some complementary food.

I have already taken action because this is a lie, but I want to tell him that this plan that he told me of may or may not also be fraud! Would this be fraud or any other crime? If one were to do the same thing, for example, with an airline, claiming they are some non-existant journalist to get a seat upgrade, would this be fraud? I'm aware it is the restaurant's and the airline's decision to grant one these privileges, but if the reason why they do so is not true, beyond being a liar is the person breaking the law?

Thanks for your help!
Hire an attorney for your ...issues.

N

nicprescott

Hire an attorney for your ...issues.
I'm currently writing a collection of short stories for my AP Literature class in High School where being realistic is a large portion of my grade. I am using this thread for research, and I deleted the thread because some of the users took personal offense of my question, which in no way would be taken as offensive by anyone of right mind. I understand the wording makes this seem like a real situation, but I fear people would not want to answer should they know they are only helping a student's research. Thank you for your concerns, I will clarify in my posts from now on.

N

nicprescott

You mention California. Is that where you/your son live?
Hi there! I have edited this post to make note that I am researching for a series of short stories for my AP Literature class, so this situation is hypothetical :))). Your help is still VERY much appreciated, and yes, the perpetrator of the crime would be resident of California.

N

nicprescott

Hello!

***I am writing a series of short stories for my AP Literature class project and a large portion of my grade is that the criminal action story be accurate to the law, as my teacher also teaches AP law. I very much appreciate any help I can get in my research :).***

California

Would it be fraud to use a false identity (one which does not exist) to do something along the lines of the following?:

1. Claim to be a VIP (for example, "prince of X made up country") and specifically request the best reservation at a restaurant. The reservation is given and complementary appetizers are also offered. Since the perpetrator is receiving benefits which may or may not cost the restaurant some money to provide, and the basis of these privileges being offered is a false claim, is this a crime or just a lie and unethical?

2. Claim to be a VIP (for example, "prince of X made up country") and specifically a seat upgrade like airlines tend to do for journalists, VIPs, etc.. The airline gives the seat upgrade to this person, but since they are given the upgrade on the condition that they are prince of X, is it fraud or are they cheating their way into an upgrade?

Thank you SO VERY MUCH for your help! I realize this forum is not a student help forum, so thank you for your time in reading and answering my post :).

LdiJ

Hello!

***I am writing a series of short stories for my AP Literature class project and a large portion of my grade is that the criminal action story be accurate to the law, as my teacher also teaches AP law. I very much appreciate any help I can get in my research :).***

California

Would it be fraud to use a false identity (one which does not exist) to do something along the lines of the following?:

1. Claim to be a VIP (for example, "prince of X made up country") and specifically request the best reservation at a restaurant. The reservation is given and complementary appetizers are also offered. Since the perpetrator is receiving benefits which may or may not cost the restaurant some money to provide, and the basis of these privileges being offered is a false claim, is this a crime or just a lie and unethical?

2. Claim to be a VIP (for example, "prince of X made up country") and specifically a seat upgrade like airlines tend to do for journalists, VIPs, etc.. The airline gives the seat upgrade to this person, but since they are given the upgrade on the condition that they are prince of X, is it fraud or are they cheating their way into an upgrade?

Thank you SO VERY MUCH for your help! I realize this forum is not a student help forum, so thank you for your time in reading and answering my post :).
Its certainly questionable and a business could definitely file a complaint. I cannot see it working at all with an airline, because a VIP is highly unlikely to make a reservation for coach, therefore that is unlikely to be a believable story line.

The restaurant idea is a more believable scenario.

N

nicprescott

Its certainly questionable and a business could definitely file a complaint. I cannot see it working at all with an airline, because a VIP is highly unlikely to make a reservation for coach, therefore that is unlikely to be a believable story line.

The restaurant idea is a more believable scenario.
Perfect, this answer is all I needed. Thank you so much for your help! Greatly appreciated!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
For the record, I would like to make a distinction here.

When a law student, or an MBA student, or an HR student, or whatever, comes on and asks us for the answers to the questions he or she is supposed to be researching for their class(es), I consider it cheating to do so much as tell them where to look and I will be the first to tell them so.

Writing a piece of fiction and looking to confirm the legal creds of the story line is a totally different issue and I don't have a problem with that at all. YMMV

LdiJ

For the record, I would like to make a distinction here.

When a law student, or an MBA student, or an HR student, or whatever, comes on and asks us for the answers to the questions he or she is supposed to be researching for their class(es), I consider it cheating to do so much as tell them where to look and I will be the first to tell them so.

Writing a piece of fiction and looking to confirm the legal creds of the story line is a totally different issue and I don't have a problem with that at all. YMMV
I agree with you. Some days I wouldn't have a problem with sending a student in the right direction either. I wouldn't give them the answers, but I might tell them where to find them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">