• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fraudulent transaction on my checking account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gabi786

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts
I received a call from my bank saying that there was a fraudulent transaction on my account. Someone tried to purchase a very expensive watch online in Denmark with my debit card info. I immediately went to the bank told them it was not me or my husband. They tried to reach out to the store that authorized the transaction but the item was already being shipped to someone in another country. They cancelled my debit card. I filed a police report. I filed a claim and waited 10 days.Today they said that my claim was declined. What are my options to fight back? Thank you

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts
I received a call from my bank saying that there was a fraudulent transaction on my account. Someone tried to purchase a very expensive watch online in Denmark with my debit card info. I immediately went to the bank told them it was not me or my husband. They tried to reach out to the store that authorized the transaction but the item was already being shipped to someone in another country. They cancelled my debit card. I filed a police report. I filed a claim and waited 10 days.Today they said that my claim was declined. What are my options to fight back? Thank you
It is a bit unusual that your bank declined your claim when the bank is the one who brought the fraudulent charge to your attention in the first place. I would suggest that you try move further up the chain of command at the bank.

Gabi786

What kind of claim: Reg E or Visa/Mastercard zero liability?

Reg E-Claim through the bank
WHY are they decline it?
The bank rep said that they did not consider this fraud. They think that whoever made this purchase knew me and had my card info. I told them someone could have got my card info from an online purcharse I made a couple days before the fraudulent transaction.

Gabi786

It is a bit unusual that your bank declined your claim when the bank is the one who brought the fraudulent charge to your attention in the first place. I would suggest that you try move further up the chain of command at the bank.
I will do that. I am going to try to speak with the manager or someone at the bank. They were the ones that called me first to let me know. They cancelled my card and added extra security measures to my account. Thanks for your help

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">