• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Free speech on facebook

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

devildogbb

Free speech

Thanks everyone for the information.
As it went down like this.
Chief made comments that most of the dept. didn't approve of and as a venting mechanism. Hinge the post that brotherhood was dead. Not about a call or a specific person just the situation. No hippa violation.
Dept is a city dept that classes us as part time employees at 12.50 per call.
It is believed that this was done in retaliation of myself and some others bringing to the administration some problems with the dept. and it just conveniently fell into a paper that supposedly is part of our policies. Again no member has been given said policies and I have video of command staff stating that they don't know about any policies. Just seeking info on what angle to plead my case in grievance hearing. Freedom of speech or whistle blower protection. Again, happy to provide any info needed for best advice.

quincy

Thanks everyone for the information.
As it went down like this.
Chief made comments that most of the dept. didn't approve of and as a venting mechanism. Hinge the post that brotherhood was dead. Not about a call or a specific person just the situation. No hippa violation.
Dept is a city dept that classes us as part time employees at 12.50 per call.
It is believed that this was done in retaliation of myself and some others bringing to the administration some problems with the dept. and it just conveniently fell into a paper that supposedly is part of our policies. Again no member has been given said policies and I have video of command staff stating that they don't know about any policies. Just seeking info on what angle to plead my case in grievance hearing. Freedom of speech or whistle blower protection. Again, happy to provide any info needed for best advice.
I do not see that you have much of an argument to make.

A Facebook post would not protect your position on a free speech ground and it is not the proper place to address work issues, so there is no whistleblower protection.

Even though volunteer firefighters are in demand in South Carolina and the State is looking for ways to double the number of their volunteer firefighters, any volunteer firefighter can be disciplined, suspended or fired by their community fire department, for pretty much any reason at all.

You could be best off just waiting out your suspension.

Sorry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">