• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Freedom of Speech ??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

GDD

What is the name of your state? New York

On a discussion forum such as this where there is a user agreement prohibiting posts such as "vulgarity, profanity, false accusation," etc............Does our "Freedom of Speech allow us to post anything we choose in spite of agreeing to the "users agreement"?

JETX

No. It is a common misconception that 'Freedom of Speech' is universal. It isn't. The first amendment only says that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."
It only applies to the governments 'abridging the freedom of speech'. That right does not give you the 'right of free speech' on a private forum or endeavor.

H

hexeliebe

Hell no there ain't no F&&&ing law to stop A$$holes like me from saying any damn thing I want....

does that answer your question? :D

G

GDD

What determines if it is a "private" endeavor? and Not a"public " endeavor or doesn't that matter as well?

H

hexeliebe

Doesn't matter at all. Jet? Gotta run. This one is all yours :D

JETX

"What determines if it is a "private" endeavor? and Not a"public " endeavor or doesn't that matter as well?"
*** Private only means NON-governmental.

For example, an employer can tell you to never talk in the office. If you do, you can be terminated.
Anytime you are in a persons home, they can tell you to not say a word or you will be told to leave.
Anyone on the street can tell you to shut up and beat the crap out of you if you don't.

However, the government cannot force you to be silent.

G

GDD

I am thinking correctly then.....................but I was believing it was because of the user agreement. But your saying it isn't applicable, period. It really has nothing to do with the user agreement.

H

hexeliebe

Of course it means something. But since this is a private board it doesn't mean you get to decide.

Now, why don't you just come right out and ask what you're trying so skillfully (or not) to beat around the bush about? You don't have to cloak it in Constitutional Issues.

HomeGuru

GDD said:
What is the name of your state? New York

On a discussion forum such as this where there is a user agreement prohibiting posts such as "vulgarity, profanity, false accusation," etc............Does our "Freedom of Speech allow us to post anything we choose in spite of agreeing to the "users agreement"?
**A: there is no freedom of speech on a website such as this one.

G

GDD

Just to clear the air, I frequent a particular discussion board, and coincidently, it uses the same program as this one. I disagreed with another poster on that board and they responded with the "free speech" plea. I told them they have no "free speech" on that or any board, especially when they signed a user agreement which forbids the use of particular language and such. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't "out to lunch" on my facts about the free speech issue. I appreciate all the responses. Thanks

H

hexeliebe

You still misunderstand. You, I or anyone else has the same freedom to say anything we wish on a forum such as this. Including the guy or girl you had the disagreement with.

However, because this type of forum is not state-regulated, in other words, not a government entity, the owners of such a forum also have the legal right to limit that freedom.

G

GDD

No I do not misunderstand. There is a difference between the "freedom" and the "right" to say or post anything. Yes, they can post or say anything that is not against the rules of that particular board. However it is not because of the "free speech" Right.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">