• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Freedom of Speech

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sambucca

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

A relationship with a friend has turned very sour. She has written instructing me to not contact any member of her family (including husband, parents in law, cousins) or there will be 'consequences'. I understand she has the right not request I not contact her and I am happy to respect her request - but am I right in thinking I am covered by the right to freedom of speech to contact any other consenting adult? Basically I am looking for the correct legal wording to state that she is not the boss of me.

justalayman

I think that would be:
You're not the boss of me.
I do not believe she is speaking in terms of legal "consequences" because there aren't any. You are free to speak to whomever you wish.

If she was my family member though, I would say I would have to go along with the girl and tell you not to contact me. You know, the old, "blood is thicker than water" thing along with, "I'll see her at holiday events and I don;t want the grief so leave me alone"

racer72

but am I right in thinking I am covered by the right to freedom of speech
Totally irrelevant. The right to freedom of speech applies only to the government and what it can limit, not to a private entity. Freedom of speech is not absolute, like any constitutional right, specific limitations are legal. Your ex friend can limit your speech to her. Otherwise you can talk to who you want but the right to freedom of speech does not apply.

Sambucca

I think that would be:

I do not believe she is speaking in terms of legal "consequences" because there aren't any. You are free to speak to whomever you wish.

If she was my family member though, I would say I would have to go along with the girl and tell you not to contact me. You know, the old, "blood is thicker than water" thing along with, "I'll see her at holiday events and I don;t want the grief so leave me alone"
Thank you for your response addressing the legal aspect. As far as "blood is thicker than water" - I respect your comment but it is difficult to judge when not in possession of all the facts - the family actually want me to stay in touch - they are as frustrated with her control issues as I am and all of us tip-toe around her afraid of her volatile reactions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">