• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Freelancing Games

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

freelancequest

What is the name of your state? New York

I have been working as a freelancer full-time for the past seven months at a media corporation. As my temporary project was ending at one publication, I was approached with a great opportunity at another publication at the same company. For various reasons, the process of applying / interviewing / testing for the position took nearly three months. During that time I patiently stayed in my low-paying position, without benefits and little chance of being hired permanently.

Then, I was informed that because I had reached a threshold of hours for the year with the corporation, I could not start the new, well-paying freelance position at the other publication. Apparently, after you work 1100 hours the company rule (to avoid legal action, apparently) you have to either leave or be hired as permanent staff. However, I had never been informed of any such rule about a maximum number of hours I could work. I never had a contract or any knowledge whatsoever that my decision to stay in my position would prevent me from getting another one in the future.

As a result, I will now not only be unemployed, but I also wasted three months when I could have been making much more money at another job--or at least seeking employment at a company where I would be eligible to work. Human resources, after all, was first to approach me about the new job anyway. I could only have assumed I was eligible to work at the company. The people at the new job really want to hire me, but can't because of this corporate policy that I was never informed about and has obviously cost me a considerable amount of money. They are not allowed to hire me right now for a staff position because of recent layoffs at the company. Is there anything I can do?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
File for unemployment and look for a new job. It's a shame no one told you about the company policy but no laws were violated.

If the people at the new job really want you that badly, they can advocate for the policy to be waived in your case, but they have to do it. You can't. Well, you can, but it won't do any good.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">