• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friend in Morocco renewed his green card but still 8 months later still waiting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

In other words, you want to commit immigration fraud. No one on this forum will advise you on how to do so. See an attorney.

BTW, even if you divorced, you are responsible for 10 years based on the affidavit of support. Some immigrants have been awarded financial support from their sponsors. Then there is the issue of alimony in a divorce. If you want to be romantically involved, move to his country. A US citizen is free to live anywhere.
The bolded is completely untrue. The US doesn't care if a US citizen wants to live outside of the US but other countries have just a stringent rules as we do, if not more so, as to who can live in their country. A US citizen cannot just automatically live in another country. They would need permission and that permission is no more guaranteed than a person wanting to live here. In fact, due to things like national health care and other benefits permission could easily be MORE difficult than it is here.

violas

I am hoping that his friend or family members in the USA will be willing to sponsor him. I am not willing to sponsor him or marry him.

FlyingRon

A "friend" can possibly provide the affidavit of support, but there's no provision to immigrate to the US just because you have a friend there. For family, unless there are immediate US citizen family members (adult children or spouses), the wait is going to be long. The priority date for more distant relatives are over 12 years right now.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
We divorced because he was sometimes irresponsible with his personal bills and I got a few calls from creditors looking for him. The 2nd reason is because he spent too much time in Morocco. 7 months ago on facebook, he offered to pay for my ticket for a 3 week vacation in Morocco. I assumed he just wanted to be "friends" However, it was the happiest 3 weeks of my life. We had a wonderful time and I felt that we were truly "soulmates" so that is how we got romantically involved again. That being said, I do not want to marry him because I don't want to be legally responsible for his debts.
So your relationship is "Friends With Benefits".

Don't marry him again, even if that means that you can only see each other as "visitors". Green card fraud is a good thing to avoid, and he's really not interested in being a LPR.

t74

OP, Your actions indicate you would really benefit from counseling. You are likely at least middled aged yet are acting like a early 20 soimething in your romantic relationships. This is likely to get you into legal and financial trouble in the future. There are many men in the US looking for lasting relationships that do not have the baggage of your ex. You would be better off joining the older singles group at your place of worship, volunteer in the community, take continuing ed courses, ... to meet people. You have already learned the hard way that it is better to be single than married to the wrong person. You are being used for an immigration benefit. You would be foolish to visit him again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">