• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friend stashed gun in my car, i didnt know, found by cops. Help!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Friend-4-Friend

What is the name of your state? Florida

I was in my car after picking up a friend, stopped at a gas station, got back in the car and reached in my seats to grab my dropped phone. Got said phone, made it to friends, cops arrive, raid friend house which unbeknownst to me, turned out to be a drug house ended up getting raided, they find the gun used in recent drive by i was 100% unaware of all of this or of the gun. While reaching for my phone i think i may have accidentally touched the gun with one of my fingers. During the raid i panicked, Im a good person with a clean record with two little girls. I ran. Whats going to happen now?

quincy

I was in my car after picking up a friend, stopped at a gas station, got back in the car and reached in my seats to grab my dropped phone. Got said phone, made it to friends, cops arrive, raid friend house which unbeknownst to me, turned out to be a drug house ended up getting raided, they find the gun used in recent drive by i was 100% unaware of all of this or of the gun. While reaching for my phone i think i may have accidentally touched the gun with one of my fingers. During the raid i panicked, Im a good person with a clean record with two little girls. I ran. Whats going to happen now?
What should happen now is that you will start a search for an attorney in your area and have one ready to help you if/when the police come to question you.

Do NOT answer questions asked of you by the police. Say to the police only that you wish to exercise your right to remain silent and you want to call your attorney. Then call your attorney and follow your attorney's advice.

I think your story of not knowing your friend was involved in drugs and your story of accidentally touching the gun are not believable, even if 100% true. That is one good reason why you should say nothing.

Watch this video:

Good luck.

Just Blue

How old are you?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member

Have you been arrested and charged with a crime? If so, you need an atttorney ASAP. As quincy noted, you certainly don't want to answer any questions from the cops about this without an attorney present. Your story is a tough sell, even if true. The cops and prosecutors hear that excuse all the time when drugs, guns, or other incriminating items are found in a car. "Oh, gee, I didn't know it was there, my friend must have left it there and didn't tell me.” Juries, too, will be skeptical since it was your car and the story is about what you'd expect someone to say to try weaseling out of responsibility for possessing the item. It becomes even harder to buy when the gun was under your seat and has your finger print on it.

I also have to wonder how you didn't have any idea your friend was a drug dealer. You need to get to know your friends better and stay away from the ones involved in drugs or illegal activity. As this incident shows (assuming you weren't involved) hanging around with criminals can get you in trouble even when you haven't actually committed any crime yourself. All it takes are circumstances that put you in the wrong place at the wrong time with your "friend", like at a drug dealer’s home right when a raid goes down.

quincy

... All it takes are circumstances that put you in the wrong place at the wrong time with your "friend", like at a drug dealer’s home right when a raid goes down.
If truly innocent, Friend-4-Friend could not possibly have picked a wrong-er place at a wrong-er time. :)

justalayman

I would definitely come up with a better story. Not knowing your friend is that into drugs is unbelievable. I would hope that if the cops do a gunpowder residue test on your car it comes back negative. .

And how and why would your friend leave his gun under your seat?

The “I might have touched it with one of my fingers” will get you convicted if there is more than that single fingerprint. When you hold a gun your fingerprints provide a lot of information. A random single fingerprint isn’t likely to be in the same place and position as fingerprints would be found if you held and fired the gun

quincy

Friend-4-Friend said that during the raid he "panicked." It would be interesting to know what form this panic took.

If he is truly innocent, and for his sake and for the sake of his young daughters, I hope he finds a good criminal defense attorney. From his description of events, he is likely to be charged in connection with a driveby shooting and with the drug house.

justalayman

Friend-4-Friend said that during the raid he "panicked." It would be interesting to know what form this panic took.

If he is truly innocent, and for his sake and for the sake of his young daughters, I hope he finds a good criminal defense attorney. From his description of events, he is likely to be charged in connection with a driveby shooting and with the drug house.
He ran. I presume he is writing this form his secret lair

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">