• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jasper&Jazz

What is the name of your state? Washington
I did a friend a favor last year, (well I thought he was a friend) I helped winterized his boat even though I told him there was a good chance it had froze. My friend did not have the $$'s to go to a shop...he paid me $69.00 in a check format, he knew I was just helping him out and am not a business....This Spring, sure enough the block on the boat was frozen and he turned it into his insurance co and was paid the $4000.00 it took to rebuild the carb and put in a new block....the insurance company asked who winterized his boat and he gave them my name and # and even gave them a copy of the cancelled check, now the insurance co is sending me notices to pay the $4000.00. The check for 69.00 was written to me directly and all it said on the corner was boat....I didn't give my friend a receipt nothing...can I be legally liable for this and how should I respond to the insurance company?

JETX

"can I be legally liable for this"
*** Yes. You provided a 'service' and was compensated. The service you provided was inadequate or faulty. You would be liable for that negligence.

"and how should I respond to the insurance company?"
*** You can try by restating what you said here (with FAR more details). But, on the surface, it doesn't look good for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">