• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

friend's husband left her in Russia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Michelle Mabe

What is the name of your state? Texas
my Russian friend married an American 3 years ago. They have had some problems, he suggested she go to Russia for a holiday-this was in may 2002 before she would be able to complete her permanent citizenship the end of june 2002. her husband sends her an e-mail the first part of june 2002 that he will join her and they will come back together-2 days before she will come back & renew for permanet green card, her husband contacted her saying he was not coming to get her! he will not send her personal items, medicine (she is diabetic & suffers from depression) nor will he help her get back to U.S. Her 14 y/o son accidently drowned 4 months after they came to texas and is buried near Grandbury. from what she has e-mailed me, it sounds like her husband had her sign a power of attorney before she left for her 'holiday'. my friend had over $2000 in her bank accounts plus 3-4 credit cards. she is taking this very badly & it has made her more ill. apparently the embassy in moscow is no help.What can i do to help her back here where she belongs?? michelle-
[email protected] thank you

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

This sounds extremely similar to one of my patented, and copyrighted, "one-way trips to Brazil". I wonder, did her husband frequent this site?

IAAL

M

Michelle Mabe

friend stuck in Russia

I do not know if he was familiar w/this site; he did purchase 2 computers so each of them would have one. She communicated w/her mother in russia almost every day. Oksana did tell me he spent a lot of time on the computer, in fact, that is how they met. i would appreciate any advice you can offer me/her as i am afraid for her well-being at this point. thanks for your quick reply!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: friend stuck in Russia

Michelle Mabe said:
I do not know if he was familiar w/this site; he did purchase 2 computers so each of them would have one. She communicated w/her mother in russia almost every day. Oksana did tell me he spent a lot of time on the computer, in fact, that is how they met. i would appreciate any advice you can offer me/her as i am afraid for her well-being at this point. thanks for your quick reply!

My response:

I don't mean to sound callous, but why are you worried about her "well-being"? She's back home. She's familiar with Russia because it's her homeland. She's been gone since May - - what do you think she's been doing with herself since then (it's now August), and it's been 3 months.

Look, as much as I'd like to empathize with your problem, the fact of the matter is that the United States is not her home, and without proper "papers", she's not entitled to the privilege of living here.

She knows Russia - - it's her home. Millions around the world want to come here, but we just don't have the room for any more foreigners. We all have to play with the hand that we've been dealt in life, and her "hand" was dealt in Russia.

We just don't have an infinite amount of resources, both natural and monetary, to "take care of" the rest of the world's people. Our freeways are jammed, our American workers have difficult to impossible times in finding jobs and housing.

Let her go - - both physically and emotionally. Who knows, perhaps one day you can go there for a visit, or she can come back - - just for a visit, only. I love to visit other places and cultures. It's wonderful. But, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else, and neither should she. Russia is her home, and America is mine. Visits between the two countries are terrific.

I am, admittedly, quite biased in these regards, and I only wish this country would go back to isolationism.

IAAL

M

Michelle Mabe

friend's husband left her in russia

While I agree, in part, w/your beliefs, I feel my friend married & lived as a couple w/this 'man' in good faith and covenant. For this, she was deceived, lied to, mentally & emotionally abused and to make matters worse, she lost her only child.

We should take care of our own--in a perfect society, it would not be a second thought. Our society is far from perfect but it is OURS, America, USA-home. I want my friend to have what she is legally & morally entitled to, whatever that may be.

Please accept my sincere thanks for your thoughts..................... AMERICA--love it or leave it & do so in our official language-english. Michelle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">