• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

From Short Term to Long Term

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

funder

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? MI

I am on short-term disability starting January 1, 2005. I was transferred to a job because of "personality conflicts". They called it that, and I say it was harassment by my boss. I could not do the job they transferred me to. It consisted of 100% data entry. I did it for a week and said I was physically unable to continue. I have visual problems and have been dealing with them for the past 5 years at work.

My visual problems were caused by Lasik surgery that did not go well. I cannot be corrected better than 20/60 with contacts or glasses. I had surgery on one eye just before my "transfer". Employer knew I had an ongoing problem with vision and chose to put me in a job 100% dependent on eyesight. They also expected speed and accuracy.

I had trouble getting my surgeon to say I was disabled from doing "that particular job." He doesn't like to put in writing that basically he ruined my eyesight. He did, and they sent me to a second opinion. He agreed that I would be unable to do the data entry job. They never asked if I could do "any type" of work, only the job in question. I see my eye dr March 29th and plan on getting another "unable to continue working that job" because my eyes are worse rather than better.

The crux of the matter is that I just turned 61. I can collect early social security at 62, although I had intended to continue working past that. If I run my short term disability through June, and in the meantime file for social security disability would that be ok as a timeline? It takes 6 months to be effective from my understanding. I would get more on disability, about $150 per month than reduced benefits. Any advice or comments? I know there is no guarantee that someone will be awarded disability benefits and it usually takes more than one filing. The worse thing that could happen would be that I would get turned down as far as I see it. Nothing would still stop me from filing for social security at 62. I could also work at something I could do as I would not be collecting "disability" of any sort. Thanks for any input.
Funder

Bigfoot

I have several concerns about issues you address, but you didn't ask for an answer on those, so I'll proceed to your major issue.

Contact an attorney who specializes in Social Security Disability who can start the process for you to receive benefits. Your local state bar association may have a referral service to get you a list of those in your area.

You're right, sometimes you don't get disability benefits the first time around, however, there are such attorneys who will probably give you a free hour of advice so that your filing will coincide with your other benefits.

funder

Advice Please Bigfoot

Please DO comment on your concerns. I did see an attorney when some of this was coming down. We didn't know if ADA would be involved for example. The attorney knows I got my short-term disability and has cut me loose. I called the office and I asked "if I file for social security disability" would the attorney represent me if I so desired? The secretary put me on hold for 5 minutes and came back and said he would. She said "call us when that time comes." I know the attorney does exclusively handle employment cases and is very experienced. Perhaps my case would not mean very much in $$ return and he isn't too anxious to be involved?

I guess I can go down to the SS office and file myself, or inquire about filing. I was under the impression having an attorney was best, but he's dragging his heels. I do have an ace in the hole if needed, which is an eye doc who is also a certified disability analyst. He would go to bat for me. Please tell me of your concerns, they are probably the same ones I have.

Funder

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">