• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

frozen accounts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? NY

I'm hoping I might get an answer that will help me out. I have a credit card company from 6 years ago that supposedly filed a claim against me in civil court and won by default. They have now had my bank account frozen. I deposited my whole month's worth of income into the account on Thursday and my account was frozen Friday. This is all the money that I have for myself and my family. This is our money for the utility bills, rent, food, etc.
I have been looking up information on the net and found that several states have a "wildcard exemption" to funds such as mine and that there are other tricks and loopholes.

I have no problem making arrangements to pay this debt off but they are trying to take it all at once and I just can't do that.

Do I have any options? Will a judge hear my case and overturn this or order a payment arrangement. Is there wildcard exemptions in NY?

Please advise and thank you in advance.


Senior Member
Yes, file a motion claiming that the attached funds are exempted in part or in full, and provide documentation proving the exemptions, e.g. that they are wages, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential