• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FSA forfeiture

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

khw

What is the name of your state? CO

I signed up for medical FSA through my employer. I then contributed 1k over the course of the first five months of the year. At that point I left the employeer, and got another job. I just finally got around to trying to send in my medical expenses to get my 1k back (5 months later). My old employeer outsources HR to a company called Paychex. When I contacted Paychex to see where to send my claims... I was told that since I had not used my FSA within three months of leaving the company, that I had forfeited this money to my old employeer. Is this true? I knew that if I didn't use all the money before the end of the year that it would be forfeited... but can they really do this when I leave my job? Thanks for the help!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
They not only can, they must. The law is very specific about when and under what circumstances an FSA can be used.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">