• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FSA Mandatory to get Health Insurance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

APSSlave

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

My employer recently announced that our health insurance was changing and that it is mandatory that all employees who want health insurance participate in the FSA in the amount he declares regardless of if the employee feels that they will be able to use the funds.

Employees who refuse to participate in the amount he specifies are not permitted to enroll in the Health Insurance program.

Is this legal?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I've never heard of such a thing but I suspect not. Contact the US DOL for more information and to file your complaint if they agree.

It MAY be legal for them to demand FSA participation for health insurance IF they have amended the plan document to include participation in the FSA as an eligiblity requirement. But I don't think there's any legal way the employer can choose the amount of your FSA contribution for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">