• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FSA unused contributions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lgugger

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA
Is it legal for a company to keep my unused fsa contributions after I have terminated employment with them?
I filed receipts for dates after I terminated employment, and they denied them saying that it was "not within plan year" I contributed for 2010 and the claims were in 2010, but the medical receipt dates were dates after I quit. I hadn't used up 800. of the funds I contributed and wanted re-imbursement. Please help. Thank you, Linda

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is not only legal, they have no option. FSA monies are use-it-or-lose-it on both sides. If you leave without using all the money in your FSA account, you lose it; if you have had paid out in expenses more than you had in your account, the company cannot come after you for the balance. This is an integral part of the FSA regulations.

Items you incurred after you quit are not eligible for reimbursement unless you elected to continue the FSA on COBRA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">