• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FTC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

trevor

If a company denied credit to many people over a 5 year period and never never sent a single letter advising that their credit had been denied and that they are entitled to a copy of their credit bureau. What are the realistic fines? I had heard potentially it's about 1000.00 a letter that was not sent.
Thank you,

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Okay, Federal Trade Commission is one way but you check with consumer credit counseling and the better business bureau. Also, check under each credit bureau's policies to see how they handle it. Credit card companies don't necessarily use the same credit reporting agencies.

JETX

What you are describing sounds like a violation of the FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act), in that "You must be told if information in your file has been used against you. Anyone who uses information from a CRA to take action against you -- such as denying an application for credit, insurance, or employment -- must tell you, and give you the name, address, and phone number of the CRA that provided the consumer report."

For a summary of this Act and information for filing a complaint (at the bottom of the summary), click on: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/edcams/fcra/summary.htm

------------------
Steve Halket
Judgment Recovery of Houston
[email protected]
-----------------------
This is my PERSONAL OPINION and is not legal advice! Consult your local attorney for your specific situation and laws!

T

trevor

You're correct it is a violation of the fcra which is governed by the ftc ( I believe) so my question is if I am 100 percent positive that a company denied credit to a couple hundred of people over 4 years and never ever sent them their proper notice or any notice, what is the fine? Potentially and realistically?

Thank you,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">