• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

full time worker with part time benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrwabba

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I am just wondering if what my company is doing to me is legal. I am a college student and didn’t take any classes spring term so I have worked full time hours from then until now. Just the other day I looked at my time sheets and they still have me listed as a part time worker getting sick time vacation time and holiday pay as if I were a part time worker but worked 3 months at full time. I brought this up with one of my managers and he said because I was going to go back to school in the fall and probably cut back hours at work I wouldn’t be put into full time status. The day after I brought this up with my manager the next schedule that came out cut my hours from 40 down to 34. Is what they are doing legal?

justalayman

what would you be getting different if you were actually full time and does everybody that is over 34 hours/week getting those same benefits?

mrwabba

full time pays for school and gets two times as much vacation, sick and holiday pay. And i think its 37 hours to make someone full time.

justalayman

well, since they did not actually lose anything becuase you did not need or attempt to use it and they have now taken you down to the hours that would classify you as part time, what have you lost?

they can alter your schedule anytime they want. There is also no legal "full time" or "part time" so it is up to the employer to define them, if they choose. As long as all members of the respective classification are treated equally, that is all that is required of them.

So, since they corrected the situation and youhave lost nothing, there is really nothing for you to do.

Beth3

You are a part-time employee temporarily working a full-time schedule. You almost certainly do not qualify for full-time benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">