• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fund raising issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

walbrecht

What is the name of your state? Florida
I have issues with the "inventive portion" of the magazine fund raiser describbed. I have hit a brick wall as far as the school and school board are concerned. Any advice is greatly appreciated (including telling me i am off base).

The students are taken from an academic class (in which a quiz was scheduled and canceled) to a “Pep-rally” where they are hyped-up with all the incentives to make this fundraiser work (that is, given incentive to make sure their parent’s buy and sell magazines, as it is <and rightfully so> forbidden for them to go door to door). So little Johnny comes to mom and dad and says if you don’t sell (or buy) your quota I won’t get all the perks little sally will get.

The incentives:
* Those students meeting the quota will be allowed to attend an IN SCHOOL party while those who don’t will have to attend class. Never mind that some parents are more affluent than others or that some kids (for example Joshua House) don’t have parents to sell magazines for them. – that’s ok though, if the party is going to be that cool maybe these kids will break the rules and go door to door….use your imagination as to the possible consequences of 11 and 12 year olds doing what they need to in order to sell their quota.

* Those students who meet the second tier get special status at the party (not sure what this means but it does sound enticing…..

* Those who reach the third tier (actually my numbering may be out of order but the idea is here) get to go to the money wheel and spin it with the possibility of winning up to $500. AH, so now we are introducing gambling to the students…you provide us with a certain level bet (magazine order) and you get to spin the roulette wheel. Legally my 11 year old is not even allowed to buy a lottery ticket. All of a sudden the school system in Hillsborough County lets them play the wheel.

* Those who reach the fourth tier,(have really affluent parents) get to go in the money grab box. Now I must admit I am not quiet sure exactly what this is, but I envision a box little sally in her dress gets into that blows air (and possible her dress up) while everyone watches her dance around and grab for money?

My son, states the reason he needs to raise this money is “To make the school more fun”.
This is what a typical 6th grader got from the PEP RALLY. “To make school more fun”. Not for Science materials or for an Art or Music Program…but “to make school more fun.”

I understand there are things my tax dollars do not provide that we all can agree are in the realm of educational value for our kids. I have in the past supported fundraisers my nieces, nephews and even my kids have participated in. Yes I have even bought magazines. My understanding has always been that the kids get a token tee-shirt or back-pack for participating. These by the way can be purchased out-of-school by the parents - the party and wheel spinning above can not. It is not fundraising I have the issue with. It is the way it is being handled by the Hillsborough County Schools.

I thank you all for taking the time to read my ranting.
I would appreciate a reply.
Regars,
Bill Albrecht

Well Gee.

Bill, although I appreciate your having your opinion and all. This is not a legal question.
This is not a rant board, and this is not a place to air said opinion.

Perhaps a different forum might wish to listen to this. There are other issues on this board that are addressed daily that really need more attention. Go ahead and look around.

Thank you for listening.

walbrecht

gee

Florida

It seems to me, having 11 and 12 year olds gambling by spinning a wheel and winning up to $500 might be in the realm of being a legal question (although maybe i did not phrase it correctly).

It also seems there is a legal issue of some parents ability to buy the admission to an IN SCHOOL- DURING SCHOOL HOURS party while other students will have to sit in class doing busy work.

Maybe I have not posed these issues as questions so let me try again. Are these things Legal.

Crazed98

walbrecht said:
Florida

It seems to me, having 11 and 12 year olds gambling by spinning a wheel and winning up to $500 might be in the realm of being a legal question (although maybe i did not phrase it correctly).

It also seems there is a legal issue of some parents ability to buy the admission to an IN SCHOOL- DURING SCHOOL HOURS party while other students will have to sit in class doing busy work.

Maybe I have not posed these issues as questions so let me try again. Are these things Legal.

gambling- the act of playing for stakes in the hope of winning (including the payment of a price for a chance to win a prize); "his gambling cost him a fortune"; "there was heavy play at the blackjack table"

It is not gambling they do not lose anything if they don't get the $500 prize.

All schools have fund raisers like that to a certain degree. For example if you sell 100 candy bars you win a cd. Sell 500 and you win portable cd player. Sell 1000 and you get a MP3 player.

It gives money to the school and gets the kids involved with the school. There is nothing illegal about it.

Now you can be your kids' knight in shining armor and sell a whole bunch or magazines so they can have fun in school.

Or, you can try to explain to them how their school is just money hungry and you cannot afford it as they just sit there confused not understanding why daddy doesn't want them to have fun at school.

walbrecht

gambling

State: Florida

"The Payment of a price to win a prize " - The payment of the price is me buying 10 subscriptions to magazines. This is the only way my child gets to Spin the wheel to win the money prize (of which 1 possibility is $500)....

I am not objecting to fundraising in itself.

Crazed98

walbrecht said:
State: Florida

"The Payment of a price to win a prize " - The payment of the price is me buying 10 subscriptions to magazines. This is the only way my child gets to Spin the wheel to win the money prize (of which 1 possibility is $500)....

I am not objecting to fundraising in itself.

It is not gambling because there is nothing for the child to lose. You paid for subscriptions for magazines and you get the magazines. It has nothing to do with gambling.

What you are trying saying is the same as a child who buys a bottle of coke that say he/she can win 1 million dollars is gambling, it is not.

It is just a perk to help make money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">