• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fundraising Music CD

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Michigan.
I want to record a music CD for a fundraising activity. The music will be played by three non-professional musicians in my "home studio". We would sell the CD's via word-of-mouth in the local area.

We will be members of a 501(C)(3) organization and will use the money for the benefit of our severely impaired adult children.

What must we do with regard to royalties. Do we need to contact the publishers of each song? Thank you.


Senior Member
Most artists have their own charities that they support so gaining release of copyright materials for such a project won't be easy.

then, unless you have a year or so to wait for any releases you do get, it's going to be a long and complicated process.

I would suggest you talk to local artists in your area who perform in local clubs or perhaps radio personalities and ameaturs to help with the project.


Senior Member
If you are going to be "covering" songs, then you will need to obtain licenses for each song you want to cover from the Harry Fox Agency. Licenses for covers are generally compulsory, but you will have to pay for them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential