• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Future in law enforcement with a drug charge and completed diversion.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stowemar

I live in Michigan. My freshman year of college I was arrested for marijuana possession and was offered diversion. I successfully completed it and the charges were dropped. I am currently at Michigan State University and getting a degree in criminal justice. I am looking to get a career in law enforcement and was wondering what my chances are of doing so.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I live in Michigan. My freshman year of college I was arrested for marijuana possession and was offered diversion. I successfully completed it and the charges were dropped. I am currently at Michigan State University and getting a degree in criminal justice. I am looking to get a career in law enforcement and was wondering what my chances are of doing so.
This might be a good thing to talk to your advisors about.

quincy

The marijuana offense should not be a major obstacle to your having a future career in law enforcement.

You will be required, however, to honestly report on applications for law enforcement positions your criminal history, the history of which includes your arrest and possession charge and dismissal if charges after diversion.

You have no conviction to report so that is a positive.

I agree with Zigner that your career plans should be discussed with your school advisors.

CdwJava

I would suggest you also speak to local law enforcement agencies - particularly their personnel that conduct backgrounds, or administrators that make hiring decisions. Quite frankly, few college advisors are going to have any real idea of the considerations in the hiring process unless they also have a law enforcement background of some kind.

In general, your arrest and diversion should not be a statutory bar to employment in law enforcement. But, as you have been advised, the arrest and the circumstances behind it will have to be related to your potential employer and the circumstances of your arrest may give any agency pause. I say this not because it WILL happen, but it might. Some agencies may find particular backgrounds to be non-starters for reasons too numerous to adequately explain here, while others may have no problem with it at all. Generally, the more time and good works that have gone between the event and the application, the better off you'll be. A rule of thumb tends to be 5 years between the incident and application.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">