• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Future(?) Landlord/Property Owner with Illegal Units

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crystae

I would appreciate advice on any level and if you know of a specific place to look, I am welcome to that as well. I am interested in buying a piece of property which operates under Los Angeles rent control. Legally, it is a single-family dwelling so in most cases it is exempt, however the previous owner has "converted" it illegally to a duplex and is therefore applicable to rent control laws. I have yet to make an offer and would like to educate myself as best as possible about this topic first. I have not been made privy to the rental agreements, so I do not know if they are month-to-month tenants just yet.

Given that they are illegal units and my desire is to revert back to a single-family dwelling where I would be the sole occupant, I have the following questions:

Does CA tenant law protect the tenants in situations like this in the event I receive penalties from the LA building code inspectors? I guess what I am asking is whether or not the potentially sloppy creation of illegal units prior to my ownership grants me protection to evict with plenty of notice if the tenants aren't month-to-month? If someone were to inspect, not like the conversion, and put me to REAP because of the previous owner's activities, I would not be very happy :confused:

I have seen documentation regarding the removal of a duplex, apartments, etc. from the rental market and believe it to be a lengthy process. Is there anything precluding me from making a deal with the existing tenant(s), to which a contract will be signed by both myself and the tenant, arranging for a voluntary departure and a settlement? Essentially this is exactly what happens with the City's paperwork, but just not with the City involved. Clearly I would get a lawyer to draft something up in the event this is an option.

Also, there are a lot of forums and information on protecting tenant's rights on the internet which is very helpful, however I have yet to find anything regarding the landlord. Is there a step-by-step eviction process if the tenant is in fact month-to-month? Can they refuse to leave?

Thank you so much for any help you can provide.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

crystae

Thank you. Let me be very specific, this property as mentioned previously, is governed by Los Angeles Rent Control.

crystae

I am sorry, did I offend you? I posted that information in the second sentence. What I would greatly appreciate now is assistance on the matter from anyone willing to provide it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">