• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FYI: "Marine Recruiters Punished for Cheating on Enlistments"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SHORTY LONG

What is the name of your state? OHIO

07 NOV 07

The military has punished nine Marine Corps recruiters who arranged for stand-ins to take Armed Services entrance exams for new enlistees. The cheating was made public, and though officials at the Military Entrance Processing Station in Houston noticed in April that signatures of test takers didn't match those on enlistment forms, said Capt. John Niemann, a spokesman for the recruiting district. "I don't know why this happened here. Obviously, we do not tolerate it," "We learned of it. We investigated it and took appropriate disciplinary action."

The worst offender was discharged from the service while the remaining eight were reassigned and given non-judicial punishments, which could include fines and demotion. The military would not release the names of the recruiters or say who the stand-in test-takers were. Officials said they found 15 instances of fraud, although they weren't sure how widespread the practice was or how long it had been going on. The cheating took place on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, a test given to prospective recruits to determine whether they're eligible for the service and what type of military
jobs they're best suited for.

Officials said the recruits who didn't take their own tests faced a range of consequences, including expulsion from the service. They also had an opportunity to take the exam on their own!

ElvisG

This is sad. First off, the test givers had to be on it as well. Someone had to rat on them. I just don't expect the government has people to go over ASVAB and enlisted paperwork signatures to check for different similarities.

DRTDEVL

This is sad. First off, the test givers had to be on it as well. Someone had to rat on them. I just don't expect the government has people to go over ASVAB and enlisted paperwork signatures to check for different similarities.
Actually, that's most likely how they were caught...

Every enlistment for the armed forces requires several steps, some of which require the same MEPCOM form. This form is not only signed in the recruiting station, but again at MEPS for the test. A THIRD signature is required to take the physical (all on the same form... see what I am getting at here?).

Why some Recruiters still choose to risk their careers over enlistments, I will never know. I am proof that a person can survive 3 years in Recruiting Duty without cheating. Sure, you will get your a$$ chewed when you don't meet your goals, but you can sleep peaceably at night knowing you did the right thing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">