• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ga pto laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rolling13

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I have accrued 88 hours of PTO that is set to expire in on my Anniversary date in April of 2011. My company has just sent an e-mail cancelling all accrued PTO and any future PTO. I understand that it is legal to stop letting us accrue PTO, but is it legal to cancel already agreed upon accrual. I have a previously approved PTO/vacation request for February that they are now telling me that I cannot take with pay. I had asked for the vacation in November, but my manager said we were too busy so I pushed it to Feb 2011. Do I have any recourse to get them to honor the already approved request and to allow me to take the other 88 hours that was previously accrued?

pattytx

There is no law in Georgia prohibiting use-it-or-lose-it vacation policies (or hardly anything else, for that matter).

It's slightly possible that the policy currently in effect would be considered a contract that confers such a right, but it's very uinlikely. The great majority of employee handbooks and company policies do not rise to the level of a contract. For this amount of hours, though, I guess it wouldn't hurt to run all the documentation you have by an employment law attorney in your state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">