• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

GA- trial separation from wife

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mblokzyl

The wife and I have decided on a trial separation for 6 months. No papers filed just talking. I want to make sure I am not giving up any rights by moving out

Just Blue

The wife and I have decided on a trial separation for 6 months. No papers filed just talking. I want to make sure I am not giving up any rights by moving out
Are their minor children? If so, how old? Do you and your wife rent or own?

xylene

Are you planning to reconcile? Are you or she having an affair? Why are you doing this?

Divorce and separation are not easy and aren't a mutual activity.

You should see a lawyer and you don't need to tell her.

What are you plans for the marital assets?

If you do plan to reconcile, unless you are both enthusiastically participating in joint and separate counseling, that's probably a pipe dream and there is nothing to try.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
What "rights" are you concerned about?

Rights to the marital home? Best plan: sell it, and split everything. You're not going to get the marital home in a divorce without some acrimony from her, and it is unclear that she can afford it on her own.

Parental rights? Well, you're leaving without the kids, so you're not likely to get primary physical custody, although you might get joint physical. Not enough information. You'll definitely have less time with the kids than if you stayed together. In most cases joint legal is a reasonable option.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">