• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

casa

waitinMd said:
What is the name of your state? Md

What does GAL mean, and when would it be applicable?
A Guardian Ad Litem represents the children's best interests in determining custody/visitation. They are assigned either by the judge, or upon request of one/both parents. The cost is usually split between parents depending on their income.

GALs are requested or assigned when it's unclear who is the more fit parent, or when there is a possibility of abuse/neglect/alienation etc.

Look up MD guidelines for GALs and you will see what the state requires of them when determining child custody/visitation.

waitinMd

Thank you. I have one more question.

Is there any way that a physicians testimony can be admissible in court without him physically being there, and if so, how?

casa

waitinMd said:

Is there any way that a physicians testimony can be admissible in court without him physically being there, and if so, how?
You sign a release for the GAL to contact or obtain records from the Dr., or you can ask the Dr. to write his letter or findings and file them with the court, then serve the X and the GAL.

LdiJ

waitinMd said:

What is it that you want the physician to testify regarding? In general however, no, any expert witness has to be available for cross-examination by the other party.....so they have to be in court.

casa

LdiJ said:
What is it that you want the physician to testify regarding? In general however, no, any expert witness has to be available for cross-examination by the other party.....so they have to be in court.
Not if the GAL is able to contact the Dr. and then report the findings/opinions to the court.

waitinMd

I'm not sure if the lawyer is going to have her doctor come in and testify, or if he is requesting her medical records.

She refused a drug test during one of her visits with the doctor. She was 7 months. When she refused the drug test (urine), the doctor ordered her to get a blood test. She refused that also. She cussed him out, changed doctors, and hospitals. It was an awful scene in the doctors office.

casa

waitinMd said:
I'm not sure if the lawyer is going to have her doctor come in and testify, or if he is requesting her medical records.

She refused a drug test during one of her visits with the doctor. She was 7 months. When she refused the drug test (urine), the doctor ordered her to get a blood test. She refused that also. She cussed him out, changed doctors, and hospitals. It was an awful scene in the doctors office.
What lawyer, yours? Wouldn't make sense for her lawyer to want that testimony.

Is a GAL assigned already? And if so, have you told them about the Dr. and given them contact information?

waitinMd

A GAL is not already assigned. I didn't know if I should ask for one or not. That is why I asked the question concerning the meaning of GAL, and when it is applicable.

I am worried about the child and the environment it is in. If she lives with her mother, the boyfriend is an alcoholic and violent, he has PO's against him. If she lives with her bf, he has a record of PO's against him. And he is being watched for drug activity.

I'm just trying to keep educated.

I think it is important to bring up the refusal of drug testing. The entire pregnancy her friends told me she was smoking pot. She admitted smoking pot for her nausea, then she said "I get drug tested at the doctors every visit, the home nurse from social services comes to my house and drug tests me also".

OK... so then why did she have a hissy fit in the doctors office if she was 'used' to being tested???

She spoke to my Mom many times and told my Mom she was getting drug tested.

I'm just trying to keep the "he said/she said" down, and get it narrowed down to facts and 'provable' information.

rmet4nzkx

You have a hearing next week.
You can't just get mom's medical records, they would have to be subpoenaed by the court because of HIPPA laws. Were any contacts made to CPS re her drug use while she was pregnant?
How much can you believe her if you havent even seen the child?
Get a DNA test.

waitinMd

CPS was contacted. They told me they don't do anything if the drug is marijuana. Only 'hard' drugs.

I am getting dna. And no, I can't believe anything she says. I just want to be prepared if she is mine.

She didn't call me when it was born, stating her lawyer told her since I wanted DNA, she was not to contact me at all, or let me see the child.

rmet4nzkx

waitinMd said:
CPS was contacted. They told me they don't do anything if the drug is marijuana. Only 'hard' drugs.

I am getting dna. And no, I can't believe anything she says. I just want to be prepared if she is mine.

She didn't call me when it was born, stating her lawyer told her since I wanted DNA, she was not to contact me at all, or let me see the child.
You have started a number of threads re this and they contain conflicting facts. Is there a way you can put the facts in chronoligical order.

One place you state that a judge declared you the father because of statements you both made, do you have the court order declaring you the father? Have you actually filed a paternity suit?
DO you use drugs too?

waitinMd

I have a copy of the temporary custody order that states I am the father. She named me the father on the order. I filed for custody/visitation. The two cases were put together, and go for a custody hearing next week.

I do not use drugs.

waitinMd

what is conflicting?

ex and I got in fight because she admitted to having relations with best friend, we broke up.

ex informed me that she was pregnant. I requested DNA. She stated that the child was mine, she had relations earlier in the year, the child could not possible be my ex best friends.

ex and I did not talk for two months. She would call and threaten to run, or tell me she miscarried. Her mother asked I not call until she calmed down. I found out later her mother did not want me to call because she was running around with another guy who was 6 yrs older than her.

CPS went to ex's house for investigation. ex started calling again, and being very nice.

ex stated sonogram was done, and the child was 17 weeks. I admitted that I was more than likely the father. I prepared for child.

ex called me and my mom 3 times a week. Invited us to birth, baptism.

ex moved in with 26 yr old man.

ex still called invited me to doctors visits. invited me to the hospital. her family said they would call me when she went into labor.

ex was asked to be drug tested, blamed me for the test, would not talk to me.

ex received letter from my lawyer asking her to go to mediation and allow me to be a part of the birth

ex had child, did not inform me, her bf did days after birth. She said lawyers told her not to call me because I wanted dna.

ex refused to let me see child, filed for temp custody order stating that I tried to beat her door down.

ex's bf called my house, stated it could be several different fathers.

I filed for custody/visitation, court date for custody hearing next week.

rmet4nzkx

When in court, petition for a DNA test if you have not already and have patience. It sounds as if it isn't yours and that is the reason for the games, if proved to be yours then petiotion for joint/shared custody.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">