• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

suenoloco

Guardian ad litem

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Mexico

The judge in my case has presented us with three names as candidates for the GAL. We get to pick as long as we agree. If we cant agree on one...he will decide. How do I pick a GAL? What questions should I ask him/her? I was told to interview them and choose one.

Last edited:

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Mexico

The judge in my case has presented us with three names as candidates for the GAL. We get to pick as long as we agree. If we cant agree on one...he will decide. How do I pick a GAL? What questions should I ask him/her? I was told to interview them and choose one.
I've never heard of being able to interview a GAL first, but it does make sense to me.

Do you have an attorney? If so, has your attorney worked with any of these GAL's before? If so, ask him/her what they think of the GAL's they are familiar with and which one they think would be the best representative for your child.

Edited to add:

I checked out your prior thread. If you do get to interview the GAL, you may want to find out his or her experience with parents who try to alienate children from their other parent. Tread carefully with how you ask for that info. In fact maybe your attorney would be the better person to interview. Those GAL's who have dealt with PA before are more aware and open to the idea that PA does occur. I would think in this day and age any GAL who's been around for a bit would have dealt with the issue in prior cases.

Last edited:

suenoloco

I've never heard of being able to interview a GAL first, but it does make sense to me.

Do you have an attorney? If so, has your attorney worked with any of these GAL's before? If so, ask him/her what they think of the GAL's they are familiar with and which one they think would be the best representative for your child.

Edited to add:

I checked out your prior thread. If you do get to interview the GAL, you may want to find out his or her experience with parents who try to alienate children from their other parent. Tread carefully with how you ask for that info. In fact maybe your attorney would be the better person to interview. Those GAL's who have dealt with PA before are more aware and open to the idea that PA does occur. I would think in this day and age any GAL who's been around for a bit would have dealt with the issue in prior cases.
I do not have an attorney. I am Pro Se.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">