• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

gamecube broke friends old TV

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wellesley312002

What is the name of your state? PA

While on vacation in Florida with friends, we visited their condo with our son. he brought his gamecube along on the trip and he and our friends 2 children proceded to hook it up to their TV set- now this unfortunately was an older TV. Apparently the tube in the TV blew while the gamecube was hooked up to it.

Our friends were irrate obviously. Now I have no idea if the gamecube really did it or not, or if the TV was ready to go. In any case they blame my son, the gamecube, and me for their TV breaking. Unfortunately the female friendship has gone sour. The men still speak.

In the meantime. several days after the break, they purchased a new $1000 television set. My husband was kind enough to go to the store with them, negotiate a discount and help carry and install the new TV in their condo. never did they mention us helping them financially in the TV purchase as they are much more well off than we are . We would have liked to help in some way, but they never asked and basically said not to worry about it, so we thought it was cool.

Anyway 6 weeks after vacation, the wife called me stating that she expects a $1000 check in the mail for their broken TV, and that she would send an invoice, then hung up. I suppose the credit card bill came in and it was a shock.

Help please. Are we liable for the TV, old or new? The situation was truly an accident. Any advice appreciated. :confused:

Happy Trails

wellesley312002 said:
What is the name of your state? PA

While on vacation in Florida with friends, we visited their condo with our son. he brought his gamecube along on the trip and he and our friends 2 children proceded to hook it up to their TV set- now this unfortunately was an older TV. Apparently the tube in the TV blew while the gamecube was hooked up to it.

Our friends were irrate obviously. Now I have no idea if the gamecube really did it or not, or if the TV was ready to go. In any case they blame my son, the gamecube, and me for their TV breaking. Unfortunately the female friendship has gone sour. The men still speak.

In the meantime. several days after the break, they purchased a new $1000 television set. My husband was kind enough to go to the store with them, negotiate a discount and help carry and install the new TV in their condo. never did they mention us helping them financially in the TV purchase as they are much more well off than we are . We would have liked to help in some way, but they never asked and basically said not to worry about it, so we thought it was cool.

Anyway 6 weeks after vacation, the wife called me stating that she expects a $1000 check in the mail for their broken TV, and that she would send an invoice, then hung up. I suppose the credit card bill came in and it was a shock.

Help please. Are we liable for the TV, old or new? The situation was truly an accident. Any advice appreciated. :confused:
**That's crazy people thinking. If their old t.v. was worth a $1000.00 then maybe. But they don't even know for sure if the gamecube broke it. Most likely it was just the age of the components. (shelf life) I'd make a phone call to the gamecube company and ask if they have ever heard of such a thing. If anything you would only be on the hook for the value of the t.v. at the time it broke. Which probably wouldn't be a heck of a lot.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Here's a letter you can send her

Dear Betty:

I don't believe my son's Game Cube was the cause of your old television breaking. However, I'm willing to strike THIS deal with you - - if you go to your attorney, I'll reimburse you for your consultation fee and the legal research fee (upon presentment of his/her bill) IF that attorney can send me a "Memorandum of Law" telling me whether I'm liable to pay you $1,000.00 for your old television set under the circumstances. If that lawyer can show me that I would be liable for that $1,000.00 amount, and that a court of law would render a judgment against me or my son due to some negligence on my son's part, then the $1,000.00 plus your legal fee money will be on it's way to you within 30 days from the date of that Memorandum.

Deal?

Signed and dated

You see, she won't be able to do it because there is no such law. She only wants the money because "she feels" you owe it. Well, that and a dime won't buy her a cup of coffee. Soaking wet, and in the best of all possible worlds, the absolute MOST you'd be liable for - - and that's assuming she's able to prove "negligence" - - would be the value of the old television, or its repairs IF the repairs don't outstrip its fair market value on the open market.

IAAL

Happy Trails

**I did see you posted this under homeowners ins. They might have replacement coverage under their policy. Our agent was wise enough to put it on ours since we had children. It came in handy when our son accidently broke my husbands guitar. But they probably would just deny her claim anyway due to there is no proof the kids caused it to blow.

I am amased what people think. They used the other t.v. for many years. And they think, (Let's get a nice new t.v. and make them pay for it).
They are not entitled to having something nicer(unless they pay for it). They used the other t.v. for many years.

W

wellesley312002

thank you

Thank you all for your responses- it gives me a bit more peace of mind.
I will follow through with everyone's advice- wellesley312002 in PA...

nextwife

Heck, I just bought a pretty decent NEW 27" TV at Sears outlet for about $150. Their old used set was likely worth less than half of that. Why not offer to split half the value of a 7 or whatever year old tv, pay them $40 or so and be done with it. NO tube TV is worth much at all.

You Are Guilty

nextwife said:
Heck, I just bought a pretty decent NEW 27" TV at Sears outlet for about $150. Their old used set was likely worth less than half of that. Why not offer to split half the value of a 7 or whatever year old tv, pay them $40 or so and be done with it. NO tube TV is worth much at all.
Bah, tell that to my 36" WEGA ($1000-$1500, depending on the model)!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">