• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Games based on Public Domain Material

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?
(In Canada)

Lets say you want to make a game based on a book which is part of public domain.
For example: 2000 Leagues Under the Sea is public domain.

If I were to make a game inspired or based around the book,
would I need to ask for permission to adapt it or something?

quincy

What is the name of your state?
(In Canada)

Lets say you want to make a game based on a book which is part of public domain.
For example: 2000 Leagues Under the Sea is public domain.

If I were to make a game inspired or based around the book,
would I need to ask for permission to adapt it or something?
FreeAdvice provides legal information and advice based on the laws of the US. Intellectual property laws can differ in significant ways from country to country so you will want to seek out advice and information in Canada for laws that apply to you.

That said, public domain materials can be used by anyone without permission. There is no copyright holder to concern yourself with.

BUT, some public domain materials have been adapted and these adaptations can have copyright protection. You are able to use the underlying original work but not the work in it's adapted form.

So, you can create a game based on a work in the public domain but if an old novel has been made into a new movie, your game cannot be based on the movie version of the novel.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">