• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Garage build with contract and windows leaking - builder refuses to fix

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Anonymous1203

I signed a contract with an amish builder to construct a 2-story garage. Payment is 50% up front, 25% when framing is done, 12.5% when building is complete, 12.5% when project is complete. To date we have paid 75%. Building was almost complete and we had a steady all day rain. All 7 windows and sliding glass doors leaked. Several have severe leaks with water running across the floor. I called the window manufacture to ensure windows were compatible with our style of building and they are. We did not see how the builder installed them to know if installed correctly or not. Since builder is amish, communications are difficult. After 3 voice messages and 2 texts, he finally came out to look at it. He assured us he would make it right and that he would get back with us with a course of action once he talked with his crew. He did not call us on the day he said he would. I have since left him 2 voice messages and 1 text. I have been documenting everything. With us still owing 25%, can we give him a deadline on when we need to know the corrective action and when it must take place? After that date, can we refuse to pay him and find another builder to fix the problem? What other course of action do you recommend?

quincy

I signed a contract with an amish builder to construct a 2-story garage. Payment is 50% up front, 25% when framing is done, 12.5% when building is complete, 12.5% when project is complete. To date we have paid 75%. Building was almost complete and we had a steady all day rain. All 7 windows and sliding glass doors leaked. Several have severe leaks with water running across the floor. I called the window manufacture to ensure windows were compatible with our style of building and they are. We did not see how the builder installed them to know if installed correctly or not. Since builder is amish, communications are difficult. After 3 voice messages and 2 texts, he finally came out to look at it. He assured us he would make it right and that he would get back with us with a course of action once he talked with his crew. He did not call us on the day he said he would. I have since left him 2 voice messages and 1 text. I have been documenting everything. With us still owing 25%, can we give him a deadline on when we need to know the corrective action and when it must take place? After that date, can we refuse to pay him and find another builder to fix the problem? What other course of action do you recommend?
In what state is the builder located?

quincy

The ideas you already listed are good ones. Send a letter with a deadline date for repairs and completion. Hire another builder if the deadline date is not met. Sue for refund/damages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">