• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

garage fire - no insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

daphishphan

What is the name of your state? iowa - i live in an apartment - neighbors had a fire in their garage which spread to mine - some fire damage but mostly smoke/water damage - there is no electricity in the garage so the cause seems quite likely to be negligence on their part - fire marshall has not confirmed a cause at this point - assuming that the fire marshall's verdict does in some way name them as a direct or indirect cause of the fire, am i able to sue to recover some of the damaged good - neither i nor my neighbor have any renters insurance

Y

yoyoma

YUP as long as the fire marshall pins this on the neighbor you can sue in small claims court for the amount of damage.

JETX

And contrary to 'no-no's post... you are not limited to small claims court. You could pursue this in a higher court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">