• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Garnishment help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jilliediane

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I AM THE ONLY WAGE EARNER IN A FAMILY OF 3. I AM BEING SUED FOR MONEY AND I AM WORRIED ABOUT GARNISHMENT. WHAT IS THE CALIFORNIA POVERERTY LINE? HOW MUCH OF MY INCOME CAN BE PROTECTED FROM GARNISHMENT?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I AM THE ONLY WAGE EARNER IN A FAMILY OF 3. I AM BEING SUED FOR MONEY AND I AM WORRIED ABOUT GARNISHMENT. WHAT IS THE CALIFORNIA POVERERTY LINE? HOW MUCH OF MY INCOME CAN BE PROTECTED FROM GARNISHMENT?
I'll ignore the poor netiquette...here is your answer.

There is no poverty line.

Up to 25% of the debtor's net disposable earnings. Once the levy has been served on the employer by the sheriff or marshal, it remains in effect until the judgment has been paid in full. Because California is a community property state, the wages of a non-judgment debtor spouse are also subject to levy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">