• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Garnishment of Bank Accounts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LKHJNSH

What is the name of your state? MN

Can creditors garnish all of your bank accounts (Joint accounts or accounts that your name is on for a minor)?? I owe them about $1,900.00.
Thank you

Ladynred

Yes, but ONLY AFTER they sue you and win a judgment against you. Any account with your name on it is vulnerable to siezure, but you haven't been sued, so don't freak out about it unless and until that actually happens.

T

Tormenter

I have a related question......

I was wondering if it's illegal to clean out your bank account after you get sued, but before a final judgement.

JETX

Tormenter said:
I was wondering if it's illegal to clean out your bank account after you get sued, but before a final judgement.
*** It is possible in extreme circumstances for a creditor to garnish your bank funds PRIOR to a judgment, but only with the permission of the court.

T

Tormenter

JETX said:
*** It is possible in extreme circumstances for a creditor to garnish your bank funds PRIOR to a judgment, but only with the permission of the court.

No, no, no.... I meant is it illegal for me to clean out my own bank account after I've been sued but before I judgement has been made against me. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">