• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

garnishment or other enforcement of unpaid alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Iowa
This question is for a friend and any help is appreciated. She was divorced from her husband about 3 years ago and awarded $500 per month in alimony in Iowa courts. Her ex husband then moved to Arkansas. Since then payments have been very sporadic and at this time are about $6500 behind. The ex husband is very much finacially capable of paying but just chooses not to.
She recently paid around $30 through the Iowa Courts to obtain a transcript of the alimony order and payment history which shows the deliquency. She then paid the $8 fee with Arkansas to file the transcript in their courts.
My question is, what is the next step in enforcing the alimony order and recieving the money owed? Is there anything she can do on her own without a lawyer such as obtain a garnishment order? She doesnt have much money at her disposal so cost is a major concern. Thanks for your help!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential