• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Garnishments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stevecarr

What is the name of your state?CA
A friend of mine has a federal student loan for a private nursing school and fell behind in her payments. She recently started working in a Veterans Hospital cafeteria (Fed Job). I thought labor law is 25% max with a court order they took 100% of her first paycheck for said loan payment. Is this legal? Thanks for any help.

adjusterjack

Have your friend register here and start her own post so we can ask questions and not get second hand information from a middleman.

Thanks.

stevecarr

you've been given the information if you don't have an answer or recommendation then you're no help. Is it legal?

adjusterjack

No, you haven't provided all of the information needed to answer the question. Sorry if I'm no help but that's the way it is. If your friend is not willing to cooperate here, then I suggest you have her consult a lawyer to whom she can provide all the necessary information (in one sitting) and review her options.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
What is the name of your state?CA
A friend of mine has a federal student loan for a private nursing school and fell behind in her payments. She recently started working in a Veterans Hospital cafeteria (Fed Job). I thought labor law is 25% max with a court order they took 100% of her first paycheck for said loan payment. Is this legal? Thanks for any help.
Let's start with this: who is it that is garnishing the wages? It is the U.S. Department of Education? Is it a private lender who sued and got a court judgment? Or is it some other situation? The details matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">