• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gas company destroyed the roots of a tree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W7PSk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington
I currently reside in the City of Everett in the county of Snohomish. Puget Sound Energy (my Gas supplier) had a Gas Leak in their pipe that was in my property. In the process of fixing it their contractor PILCHUCK Construction destroyed 1/2 the roots on my tree. 3 Arborists said it was going to die and fall.

I contacted PSE who said it was the contractors responsibility. And the contractor said they needed access to the pipe and tough. They are not responsible for the tree damage and it was my responsibility to pay for removal.

Am I out 500 bucks or is there recourse for me without paying more than the 500 for a lawyer.

FlyingRon

Tough is probably the right word. I suspect this tree was growing in the utility easement (or over the line going to your house) if it was necessary to service the line.
Now if they damaged the tree through negligence (either because they dug in the wrong place, etc...) then they might be liable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">