• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gave Ex An Expensive Camera

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blueray4

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

My ex and I broke up, she wouldn't give me a reason why except that she just wanted to be single.

After about 6 months into the breakup , after taking her out to dinner a couple times I decided to buy her a camera (totaling around $850) that I knew she wanted. I left her the camera in her car.

I included a letter saying I wanted another chance.

She accepted it and texted me "I didn't have to do that, thanks"

I then took that as good news. She went on a week long vacation somewhere and upon her return I find out from her that's she's been seeing another guy.

I immediately tell her I want the camera back.

She texts me she will give it back, but then she texts me she likes it and asks me if I would consider her buying it off me

I agreed that was fair.

After about 2 weeks of waiting for a payment, I could tell her new guy wasn't working out so I offered her, she could pay me $400 for the camera (less then half) or go out on a date with me again.

She agreed on the $400.

Never got the $400 from her, so I asked her about it again. Then she asked if I would do the date thing, I agreed.

After a couple weeks of trying to setup a date, it just never happened.

Then she started to tell me I was being ridiculous for asking for the camera back.

Long story short, she started seeing a new guy, bought a house with him within 6 months and is engaged.

I tried texting her about it, and now she's threatening me with harassment charges.

Am I wrong for taking this to small claims? All our communication was text, do I have a case for small claims?

CSO286

No, you don't have a case.

You gave her the camera. She is under no LEGAL obligation to return it or to go on another date with you.

Chalk it up as an expensive lesson learned and walk away.

Also, don't spend $800 on an EX girlfriend.

*sigh*

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

My ex and I broke up, she wouldn't give me a reason why except that she just wanted to be single.

After about 6 months into the breakup , after taking her out to dinner a couple times I decided to buy her a camera (totaling around $850) that I knew she wanted. I left her the camera in her car.

I included a letter saying I wanted another chance.

She accepted it and texted me "I didn't have to do that, thanks"

I then took that as good news. She went on a week long vacation somewhere and upon her return I find out from her that's she's been seeing another guy.

I immediately tell her I want the camera back.

She texts me she will give it back, but then she texts me she likes it and asks me if I would consider her buying it off me

I agreed that was fair.

After about 2 weeks of waiting for a payment, I could tell her new guy wasn't working out so I offered her, she could pay me $400 for the camera (less then half) or go out on a date with me again.

She agreed on the $400.

Never got the $400 from her, so I asked her about it again. Then she asked if I would do the date thing, I agreed.

After a couple weeks of trying to setup a date, it just never happened.

Then she started to tell me I was being ridiculous for asking for the camera back.

Long story short, she started seeing a new guy, bought a house with him within 6 months and is engaged.

I tried texting her about it, and now she's threatening me with harassment charges.

Am I wrong for taking this to small claims? All our communication was text, do I have a case for small claims?
Yes, you are wrong for taking this to small claims.

You gave your ex-girlfriend a gift. She accepted it.

Then you became a bit creepy, even though she probably didn't want to say that to you.

I recommend you chalk this up as an expensive lesson-learned.

edit to add: Wow, CSO286. Not only did we provide the same advice, we even said it in the same way (except you were nicer). :)

Last edited:

CSO286

Yes, you are wrong for taking this to small claims.

You gave your ex-girlfriend a gift. She accepted it.

Then you became a bit creepy, even though she probably didn't want to say that to you.

I recommend you chalk this up as an expensive lesson-learned.

edit to add: Wow, CSO286. Not only did we provide the same advice, we even said it in the same way. :)

That's because we're brilliant!!!

::cool::

Reto

You gave it to her. She didn't sign a contract stating she would give it back if/when she dumped you. I'd have taken the camera too...and not returned it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">