• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gender discrimination and Antagonizing behavior

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mar580

uncomfortable and annoyed I feel with my situation at my place of employment. I have a manager that is constantly antagonizing me and discriminating me because of my gender and political preference. He is constantly bringing up topics of conversation that cause me to feel uncomfortable and angry I am also scared because in the past anyone who has complained about him has emmedietly gotten fired.

LdiJ

uncomfortable and annoyed I feel with my situation at my place of employment. I have a manager that is constantly antagonizing me and discriminating me because of my gender and political preference. He is constantly bringing up topics of conversation that cause me to feel uncomfortable and angry I am also scared because in the past anyone who has complained about him has emmedietly gotten fired.
It might be bad manners to discuss politics in the workplace but its not illegal discrimination to do so. You gave us no hint about how you are being discriminated against regarding your gender so I cannot comment on that.

Mar580

My manager gives me task that he would normally never give any of the other men in my job as I am the only female in the workplace like cleaning up after all of them. He talks down to me and is constantly trying to make me feel stupid. He antagonizes me by criticizing my political party while I am not even engaged in any conversation in that subject. I have also seen and heard misogynistic behavior from while while referring to other females. He also displays racist behavior just doesn’t make it super blatant but there has to be something I could do about it since it’s come to a point where this type of behavior makes me fee uncomfortable and hard for me to continue to work in this kind of environment.

quincy

What is the name of your state?

I am not seeing anything in what you have said that clearly supports an actionable claim.

I recommend you look for another job.

Mar580

Florida and wow that’s amazing that this type of behavior could be tolerated at a work place. Thank you for the advice anyways...

Mar580

This is the thing that I am not the one bringing politics up its my direct superior bringing up these topics and antagonizing me over it. What am i supposed to say??!!

Mar580

Ok that will do I guess thank you again guys it just gets me angry because I want to make a difference it isnt fair that he gets to treat the employees this way and never seems to have any consequences. I will do further research but thank you all for your not so helpful advice. FYI I am and have been looking for employment elsewhere and hopefully I find something else soon, still I will make sure their name as a company gets tarnished as I have experienced the worst kind of treatment from a male manager since I have moved to this State.

eerelations

If your boss is consistently giving you low-level (and possibly demeaning) work that he is not giving to your male coworkers, and if he is making misogynist remarks in your hearing about other women in your workplace, then you should make a formal complaint to HR. When you make this complaint, make sure it's accompanied by detailed notes, dates, times, and the names of possible witnesses. If HR doesn't stop the behavior and/or remarks, then you should file a complaint with the EEOC.

Regarding the political stuff, try to just get past it. There's nothing you can do about that.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I am not sure I agree with the majority of the posts in this thread. In what state are you? It matters.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
My manager gives me task that he would normally never give any of the other men in my job as I am the only female in the workplace like cleaning up after all of them. He talks down to me and is constantly trying to make me feel stupid.
These things might amount to illegal sex discrimination under federal law. But the details matter. For example, what is the job that you do? How many men are in that same job? Were you the most recently hired in that job? Is it typical for people in that job to be given those those tasks? How many other women in the company? Does he treat them the same way, or just you? Do any of the men get treated that way? The first step in dealing with sex discrimination in the work place is to make a complaint with HR or the management above your boss about the behavior. Stick to the facts and give detailed examples of what he does: date, time, description of what he does. Try to keep the emotion out of it. Once you make the complaint, the employer's role is to make the discrimination stop. If the discrimination continues, then you may have an action to pursue for illegal discrimination.

He antagonizes me by criticizing my political party while I am not even engaged in any conversation in that subject.
Criticizing your politics does not give rise to illegal discrimination under either federal or Florida law. You either need to learn to ignore it or, if it really bothers you that much, look for a new job.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In that case, you've got nothing to go on with regards to the politics; it is legal to discriminate on that basis. But I"m not convinced you don't have a complaint of gender discrimination. Have you talked at all to HR?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">